Using fluval fx5 for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYgiantsRP

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a fluval fx5, I plan on setting it up in the next week. I was doing some research and found out that you can use the extra valve they supply and attach it to a hose, run it into your sink or outside and then plug in the filter and it will drain. Has anyone else done this? Also, could you reverse it and hook a hose from the sink tap to the input and fill the take? Anyone have experience with trying this? This is a freshwater setup.

I drain water out of my tank using a valve i added to the filter intake hose, it isn't a fx5 but i can't see how it would be much different, I refill using a large bucket and a hand powered water pump i got from a gardening store, it gives a nice flow and allows me to add any treatments to the bucket first. If you try that don't forget to sterilize the pump before first use :)

I bought an extra Fluval hose and connected it to the supplied extra valve.
It is fantastic for doing water changes. I connect it up to the pump outlet then pump out as much as I need to.
By shutting the inlet i can also pump out the contents of the filter allowing me to easily remove it for cleaning. I love my FX5.

To add water I use a dedicated garden hose straight from the tap, then treat the whole tank with prime to remove the chlorine etc.

Dwebkombi said:
I bought an extra Fluval hose and connected it to the supplied extra valve.
It is fantastic for doing water changes. I connect it up to the pump outlet then pump out as much as I need to.
By shutting the inlet i can also pump out the contents of the filter allowing me to easily remove it for cleaning. I love my FX5.

To add water I use a dedicated garden hose straight from the tap, then treat the whole tank with prime to remove the chlorine etc.

Where did you buy the extra fluval hose attachment? I can't find one!

CraigMac said:
Where did you buy the extra fluval hose attachment? I can't find one!

I got mine from my lfs in Sydney Aust.

I would suggest your lfs or any fluval dealer as it is a spare part. You could also try your local hardware and pickup any 25 mm Int diameter hose.

Back
Top Bottom