UV filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my other main reason for getting one, I read it keeps water clear. I never saw a pump for this can someone show me one? and if so when it comes to changing the uv bulb is there a way to detach the tubes and not have water come out while removing the device?

I think there are better products on the market for water polishing. A diatom filter will work much quicker and can be set up as needed. You don't have to run that 24/7 like you would a UV. IMO, the main reason to use a UV sterilizer is to kill micro organisms which cause disease.

IMO they are a waste of time. they only kill FLOATING bacteria and algie. anything in your tank wil not be affected. I.E anythin thats in your gravel, glass, wood, plants, etc
If you have algie buld up? use a magnet cleaner or a scouring pad.
UV steralizers are only Partly useful on outdoor ponds and tanks in direct sunlight.

my tank is in my dining room which has a huge window that during the evening the sun does hit the aquarium cause algae/diatoms. if not uv then what else is there to keep water clean and transparent looking clear water.

What would you be using the UV for? I would use it for an aquarium as a last resort because there are other ways to balance nutrients that feed algae. I would use low to moderate light plants like amazon swords if possible. If you must use the UV, Bigals has a Hydor Pico 500 pump that would probably work well. It is low intake suitable for UV use.

It's normal to have a certain amount of algae in a healthy tank. Diatoms are usually the first to appear, and will do so even in poor lighting. Otos will help as they are diatom eaters, but will not solve the problem. Is your concern algae build up on glass and ornaments or an algal bloom causing green water?

Algae should be cleaned off aquarium surfaces as part of regular maintenance. Green water is best handled using a diatom filter. There are quite a few posts on the use of these filters in this forum. :wink:

I would suggest trying to minimise the amount of sunlight the tank gets during the day.have you got a background on the tank? If its the side of the tank you can always hang a towel or wrap more backing around the side. U can always remove it at night.

If you want to keep your water clear, then get a Diatom filter, and only run it on occasion. Does not need to be run all the time. Will do a better job than a UV filter.

Ill add something here.. Uhh.. you dont need to do any filtration for clear water, just keep up with your maintance.. If you still have algae problems, that tells you somthing that if you just keep filtering it with UV or DE you wouldnt know about your tanks water chemistry. If you don't know whats going on you can't correct it. O3 would also be on my list of too much UV and O3 expecialy are sterilization methods, Im pretty sure nature isn't sterlie ;)

Back
Top Bottom