UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's your problem, often bubblers will create micro bubbles and really make your tank water look bad. Also, I used to have the aqueon 55/75 before I got my canister and I have found that it is better if you just add your own combination of carbon filter floss and other bio media as it is not only cheaper than the cartridges but also more efficient at filtering. Uv sterilizers are worth it when you get your tank setup though, really puts a polish on your water. Google the mean green killing machine uv sterilizer as it is the one that I have and works like a charm. Hope this helps!:)

Thanks that is what I was looking at. I turned my filter off for 24 hours and the micro bubbles are no longer there. Still a bit cloudy but im sure it will be fine by tonight. And also, I have a 55 African cichlid tank and am thinking of gettin a very small powerhead. Maybe even for my 30 planted. Any suggestions. Idk if its good/bad for fish or plants but I like its look with a slow current. But If it's not safe I won't get it.

Thanks that is what I was looking at. I turned my filter off for 24 hours and the micro bubbles are no longer there. Still a bit cloudy but im sure it will be fine by tonight. And also, I have a 55 African cichlid tank and am thinking of gettin a very small powerhead. Maybe even for my 30 planted. Any suggestions. Idk if its good/bad for fish or plants but I like its look with a slow current. But If it's not safe I won't get it.
Try turning the bubbler off for 24hrs and see does that get rid of those micro-bubbles. You probably have the air-stone too close to the intake of the filter. You don't need the bubbler anyway, so possibly the only way to get rid of the micro bubbles completely would be to remove the air-stone or move it to another part of the tank. What is happening is, the intake is sucking in some bubble and spitting them out as micro-bubbles. Another solution could be to get a pre-filter sponge(google it), it will stop most, if not all, of the bubbles from entering the intake -> no micro bubbles

Turns out its not bubbles. Turned everything off add everything settled top the bottom and now it's brown

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130708_164643.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_164643.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 75
Yeah ive seen a few vids on youtube, im going to put a piece where the water will go through before the carbon filter.

Yeah ive seen a few vids on youtube, im going to put a piece where the water will go through before the carbon filter.
Great stuff, keep the thread updated and let us know how you get on and remember the floss can be removed, dumped and replaced as needed. No BB on it, so no need to worry about it.....

All done!!!! Water is clear and fish are happy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130712_225430.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130712_225430.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 83
Great stuff, keep the thread updated and let us know how you get on and remember the floss can be removed, dumped and replaced as needed. No BB on it, so no need to worry about it.....

Lol. Well, there 'is' BB on it of course, but since that's not its primary purpose, one would assume there is a good supply of media in the filter for that purpose so that it won't matter if you remove it.
I use the old floss (rinsed first) in a filter bag in my quarantine tank or new tank that I want to cycle quicker.

Lol. Well, there 'is' BB on it of course, but since that's not its primary purpose, one would assume there is a good supply of media in the filter for that purpose so that it won't matter if you remove it.
I use the old floss (rinsed first) in a filter bag in my quarantine tank or new tank that I want to cycle quicker.
You are correct, I just didn't want to risk confusing the OP. When some hear of dumping BB, panic can set in....haha. Great idea with the floss. I've never thought of that!!!

Thanks for the advice. Before I did that though, I did a 50 percent water change. And when I added the filter floss, it was great for that tank.

Thanks for the advice. Before I did that though, I did a 50 percent water change. And when I added the filter floss, it was great for that tank.
My 55g has floss and purigen and the water is so clear, the fish look like they are floating!!!. Even without the water change, the floss would have sorted it in no time.....

Back
Top Bottom