UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is getting a uv sterilizer
-Good for planted tanks
-Worth the money
-Cheap, for a low quality one
-good for anything besides clear water
I want to get two for my two tanks (30 gal, 55gal) I over filter my tanks yet there is still a little cloudyness. I have a 90 for my 55 gallon, and a 45 for my 30. Any advice/stories/experience helps and is greatly appreciated.

A little of both I guess, because the is a piece of driftwood that is very minorly staining the water.

A little of both I guess, because the is a piece of driftwood that is very minorly staining the water.
A UV sterilizer will fix the bloom but will do nothing for the driftwood leeching tannins. For the bloom, if it is that, the UV sterilizer will fix that and for the driftwood, if you want/can remove it, boiling it will release the tannins. Another option for the tannins is to get some Seachem Purigen. Before you get the UV sterilizer, try some filter floss in your filter, it might clear the cloudiness. A couple of dollars for a massive bag in a craft/hobby shop. I would give that a try before buying a sterilizer. It could be a much cheaper solution. If it's gonna work, you will notice the difference in a day or so. Also it's a good media to run in your filter(s) continuously....

Ohhhhhh.... thats what I thought and yes I do.

Ohhhhhh.... thats what I thought and yes I do.
Do you know what's name and model of the HOB. Most can be customised. Floss can be easily added to a HOB. It should be placed in the HOB where it is the last piece of media that the water goes through before returning to the tank....

This is what my tank has in it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_194307.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_194307.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 67
Did you wash the sand before putting it in the tank?

Whats the grain size of the sand your using?

Thats the scary part. The tank has just been cycling with just water. No sand, plants, or fish. This just appeared last night. It was crystal clear before.

Thats the scary part. The tank has just been cycling with just water. No sand, plants, or fish. This just appeared last night. It was crystal clear before.

Thats normal. Do you have an api master test kit? Whats your water params

Couldnt tell you all my numbers, but last night everything was perfect. The only thing that was high was the pH. It was aroun 7.8 or 8.1

Do you have a bubbler/air stone in there. It looks like either micro bubble or particles. If it's particles, the filter floss will clear that in a few hours....

I do have a bubbler. Should I just YouTube how to add filter floss

Back
Top Bottom