UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just have a quick question, I know UV sterilizers work on cloudy water and algae blooms. My water is crystal clear but have algae growing on glass and ornaments due to a room full of windows. Will a sterilizer work for that? Thanks ;)

A uv light would kill it if you illuminated your whole tank with one, but at the cost of killing all you fish and giving yourself cataracts, lol

Not really, elbow grease. On the bright side, algae does help a little by consuming nitrates and phosphates from your tank. It's just unsightly

The UV sterilizer would only destroy free-floating algae. It will not affect the algae on your glass because those algae are already stuck there and not passing through the filter.

UV Killer

I just brought a submersible UV Light thinking I was doing right. Its killed over 45 of my fish. How I wish I had found this site first and done my homework. I am just waiting to see if any more die. I am suprised they can sell such things if they know it will kill the fish.
Its been a very sad 48 hours.

I just brought a submersible UV Light thinking I was doing right. Its killed over 45 of my fish. How I wish I had found this site first and done my homework. I am just waiting to see if any more die. I am suprised they can sell such things if they know it will kill the fish.
I think they are sold for use in a sump, not the display tank. Ones I've seen have disclaimers not to use where fish are exposed to the light.

So sorry that happened. Really stinks

Back
Top Bottom