UV Sterilizer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank grows green algae pretty quickly. I was wondering where I could get a descent UV sterilizer for a 55g. I really don't want anything super expensive... just something that will minimize the daily scraping I have to do with all this junk. Also how do they run? Do I need an external pump of some sort or can they go inline with a canister.

I'm planning on putting mine inline with a Fluval 404. Just make sure the flow rating of the canister doesn't exceed the flow rating of the sterilizer or else the UV won't be effective.

Is a UV sterilizer really that effective? I was looking into one before and i am still up in the air about it. This is for a 75 gallon FOWLR tank.

By the way, i was going to put one in line with my Fluval 404 as well!

SJS

P.S. - Sorry for jumping in the topic but i had some questions about this as well.

I don't know for sure but I hear it helps algae growth. I figure I would try it... back to the question is there anyone that knows where I can get one for a descent price?

I can't say definitively how effective they are but I will say this:

I ran my UV for about 7 months with the old bulb from the previous owner not knowing how old it was. I fought algae a bit, scraped occasionally etc.

In the last 2 months since putting in a new bulb, I have NO algae at all. Freakishly low algae growth.

I can't say it's all due to the UV because I do control feedings, light etc. But there has been a marked drop in the amount of algae in my tank since installing the new bulb.

My question is what kind of water are you using?
UV's are nice but if your having a lot of algae maybe you water is the problem. UV will only help wiht free floating algae, paracites not hair or cyno bacteria....

Back
Top Bottom