UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking at a UV sterilizer. I have had a horrible problem with fish doing great and for no reason just dropping off like flies. About every 2 months 1 or 2 fish just die. No reason at all. It's all about the same symtoms. Eating and doing fine, then not eating. Then goes up to the top for a few minutes then back down to the bottem. Next day.... we have a burial. :drain: I'm thinking its all parasites, but i see nothing on them at all, so i'm looking at a UV. I have a 55 Gal with a Magnum 350 pro filter. I'm thinking a corial reef 18w uv that is T'ed off from the return. Would that work?

If it's internal parasites, A uv sterilizer won't do a thing. It can only get "things" that are in water. It has to go through the sterilizer.

How are your water parameters? If you have poor water quality, a UV wont help much. How many and what types of fish in what size tank?

PH = 7.4
Ammonia = 0.0
Nitrate = 20 - 40
Nitrite = 0.0

It is a 55 Gal

4 Angels (Quarter size)
8 Neons
5 Black Neons
2 Blue German Rams
3 Rasboras

AA has an artical on UV
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=39
And bigger wattage is better(expesialy with trying to kill parisites)..(bigger diamiter is better as well to a point)

I dont know whats killing the fish.. I would examine your acclimation process and possibly try to keep NO3 down further.. your Nitrate is a bit high.. less then or = 20 ppm would be alot better.. hope this helps..

almost all the fish that you have are soft water and sensitive fish. but don't be discouraged, i and a lot of people keep them in alkaline water.
angels at that size are very prone to deaths unless well taken care of. even then deaths do occur.
neons have been weakened by too much inbreeding and i still find one missing occasionally in a well-established planted tank. some tanks just are not made for neons *sniff*
GBR's have an entire thread (a huge one too) dedicated to them.
rasboras and the black neons are supposed to be much hardier though.

i wouldn't be very surprised if you have angels or neons dying off, despite pristine water conditions. let the angels grow up a little, they should be fine then. meanwhile, carry on with the pwc's and don't worry too much.

lastly, i wouldn't buy a costly uv sterilizer without ascertaining the reason behind the deaths. if the fish do have stringy and white poo, its internal parasites. quarantine the non-eating fish and look for other indications...

good luck.

The tank has pool filter sand and is planted. That is what i like about the fish that i have they are very hard to keep! That is what makes this a great hobby for me. It's the challenge.

The only things right now dropping like flies are the rams. I did have 2 golden rams and they both had "white" or "clear" poo. All the other fish are doing fine. Do i need to worry about this spreading to the other fish? If so wouldn't a UV be helpful in limiting the spread. I have read up on them and i know they are not the fix all solution to all issues, but i'm looking for something to help keep the tank in the best condition possible.

I have found that doing the drip method is the best. I have only lost 1 neon in 24 hours.

If your having trouble with golden rams try the bolivian rams instead.. they should fair better... german blues and goldens are less hardy then the bolivians..

are you using the drip method to acclimate your fish to your water? Im only asking because some of your fish would benefit from this being more delicate then average.

UV's help with external parasites that are not encrusted on the fish, and are floating as free pathogens in the water. I use a UV on my saltwater reef to help kill algae spores that are free floating in the water causing green algae to grow. To help wtih parasites you need more wattage and a longer contact time with the light, so either a smaller GPH pump or the use a t-valve will help.

As for what is killing your fish - water quality will prove the likely culprit. German Blue Rams and Golden Rams are all softwater fish, and 7.4 is very alkaline for these species. I would suggest Brichardi, Kribensis or something along those lines. My gf had the same problem with hard water and Rams.

Back
Top Bottom