Uv sterilizer advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbobbitt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a really well planted discus tank 75gal. And I'm fixing to start stocking the tank with more discuss and was seeing what you guys thought about a uv and if it's a good idea how many watts for how many gph if I do it I'm looking for stage two like where I kill bacteria and parisites. And what would be some good brands to buy from?? Thanks

Lol I know but I think if I do it right I can keep the water even better!!!

Mine runs 10hrs a day and is a separate internal unit. It's hard to say on quality - it was expensive but prices here vs US will be.

I've thought it makes a difference with keeping the water slighter clearer. Tank still has had ich, etc - at best I would say the unit restricted the infections to just within the same school.

I think it has helped but hard to say how much. Could be interesting to ask the SW people.

I thought my uv sterilizer was helpful in keeping the tank clear and free of disease, it was expensive, high wattage, measured dwell time to where I was achieving level 2 sterilization....it didn't make much of a difference.

I never got diseases...but now that it has been off awhile I still have no diseases. My water is perfectly clear without it being on. I'd say it was a waste of a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had a sunsun one that was rather large and it kept my tank water pristine but I feel it's not really needed like Nigel said. I paid like $30 for it on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay cause I'm not really looking for clearer water it's already super clear I just wanna keep it clean huh well you guys say it's not worth the money well that's interesting!!!

Okay cause I'm not really looking for clearer water it's already super clear I just wanna keep it clean huh well you guys say it's not worth the money well that's interesting!!!

What do you mean clean? Your tank shouldn't have any parasites or diseases introduced into it anyways. Keep your tank free from parasites and diseases by having a quarantine tank and monitoring things before they go in your main tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's something I think is an optional extra for FW. If you have funds and space, sure. It can't hurt and may help. That was my conclusion. I'm happy that I bought it but if it failed tomorrow it's not the end of the world. Where I do run it non-stop is as it changes from winter to summer here and we get a few heat waves bouncing tank temp up.

Back
Top Bottom