UV Sterilizer v. Diatom Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to buy one of these two items, and I would like some input as to which is going to pay off better in the long run - for cost, I can get either of them delivered for around $80, so that is a non-competitive issue. Any experiences with certain brands would be appreciated as well. For reference, I have a 75g. TIA

UV kills stuff, diatom removes stuff. (much of the same stuff you'd want a UV setup to kill) I'd probably go with a diatom first, but it is a little more maintenance. If your fish-sanity is dwindling, like mine, you'd end up with both eventually.

I only have a diatom myself and don't see the necessity for the UV, as it just kills stuff and spits it back into the tank, lol.

I bought the Vortex Freedom a while back, and while it works well, it is an incredible PITA to set up without making a huge mess. The priming process is very annoying, the built-in diversion valve is not good (it leaks both water out of the system and air into the system unless everything is "just right"). The hoses are horrible, and collapse/twist up all the time.

Other than that, it's great.

Meanwhile, the UV I bought installed inline to my cannister filter, and has required 0 effort or maintenance since that day. Someday I'll have to clean the quartz tube and change the bulb, but otherwise it just works.

The XL is a very nice unit. I really like mine. Priming is probably the worst part of it, but it's really not that tough. Once primed, you are ready to rock and roll. Then you just add the diatom powder in the bucket with the hoses in it, and once the water is clear, you place the bucket in the tank and remove the hoses without taking them out of the water, and you are set. The tubes are thick and very sturdy, and never have problems getting kinked or tangled, and no leaks whatsoever. Overall it's an awsome unit, and I'd definitely recommend it for any size tank.

Back
Top Bottom