UV sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought an AA 9W UV filter. Never heard of them before, but there is a little FS near my house that carries them. It was very inexpensive CDN$50) and it works like a charm! I had problems with hazy water and green water in the past that are now history.

I'm not sure how long it will last. It's been working for 4 months without problems. It doesn't look good, but it's hidden behind the plants. My golden nugget loves to hide behind it!

Check this link:
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/NewProduct2.php?id=156&line_id=&level=3

Thanks Dr G, I order that today :) It's on back order til the 15th.
I don't think I would ever buy anything from EBay, but that's just me.

Dave

If you want a UV just for killing free-floating algae then go ahead and get a little 9-13 watt sterilizer.. but to kill free-floating parasites I would error on the higher wattage side of caution and get the 36 watt.. by the way there is a guide to maximum recommendations right on the drsfostersmith.com web-site with their help pick out the right UV unit link and you will see that the dwelltime is so small that you couldnt put 50 twists and turns to get a long enough dwelltime on a 9watt unit to kill parasites.. they dont make water pumps small enough for the application..

greenmagi said:
If you want a UV just for killing free-floating algae then go ahead and get a little 9-13 watt sterilizer.. but to kill free-floating parasites I would error on the higher wattage side of caution and get the 36 watt.. by the way there is a guide to maximum recommendations right on the drsfostersmith.com web-site with their help pick out the right UV unit link and you will see that the dwelltime is so small that you couldnt put 50 twists and turns to get a long enough dwelltime on a 9watt unit to kill parasites.. they dont make water pumps small enough for the application..

On the 9 watt turbo twist I think you need a gph of 55 or lower to kill parasites. Thats way too slow to effectivly filter your tank, so I agree with grren, I would go with a higher wattage if you can. If you can't, at least know that if your fish ever get sick you are going to have to turn your filter way down and get alternate filtering on your tank.

greenmagi said:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=423&aid=435
scroll dow to Choosing the Right Size Unit...

The turbo-twist is a little better because the twist design increases the dwell time. Go to BigAls and download the manual for the 9watt, on the last page they have a graph that shows the gph necessary to kill different things. Its either 65 or 55 gph for parasites.

The Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizers can hang on the back of your tank, i have mine set up right now off the powerhead in the tank. When I get the 90 gal setup off it goes from the 38 Gal. Thatpetplace.com had them cheapest, but I got mine form BigAls because they price match it and then beat it! <edit>sorry didn't see next pages of replies..

Back
Top Bottom