UV sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizers. Good product, I had some haze in my tank after a couple of hours of using the corallife it was crystal clear. I have mine set up to the minimum recommended flow to kill as many parasites as possible.

Coralife Turbo-Twist is a very popular sterilizer.. alot of people use it..
If I were to by a sterilizer/clarifyer I would get one for a pond.. bigger UV and can take a higher flow rate to kill the parasites for about the same or less money.. JMHO though..

the only heat is from the CF bulb.. it really isnt all that hot.. but that one does have to be blumbed inline.. almost all of them have to be.. you will want something bigger then 9watts if your intrested in killing parisites.. I wouldnt go with anything smaller then 13-15watts..
E-bay has good deals.. better then the big online retailers.. Ebay search for UV filters
E-bay 18watt deal jebo
E-bay 36watt deal jebo
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guess I should have said hob. Do all uvs's have to be plumbed inline.
And BTW, I know I'm asking a lot of questions and you guys have been great with the help :)

Thx,

Dave

Yeah, but if you get one of those jebo ones green linked you too they come with a pump.

Ya know, in all my years on line, I've never used EBay. I do everything on line, except EBay. In it's infancy it was individual sellers and so many were rip offs. It may have changed, I just never kept up with it.

Dave

there is a online store that sells jebo units I just dont remember what its called.. it would be alot cheaper then going with the bigger name brand units... anyone got that link? They also sell the jebo/odyssea light strips, filters and such..

by the way you can plumb the inline jebos up like a HOB with the included powerhead.. just run have the powerhead bairly in the water and have it pump the water up to the UV unit that you could have setting on top of the tank and have a hose tanking the water to the other side of the tank.. the powerhead comes with a spounge prefilter.. the plumbing doesnt have to be complicated..HTH

The Aqua El is a brand new product Xzap... Its unlikely anyone has one... if you bought it make sure to do a review ok!

From what I've read and learned so far, it sounds like a Fluval with a built in uvs. Now the El's are 5 & 9 watts vs the jebo at 18 watts. Is the EL only gonna do 1/2 the job of the jebo ?
From what I've read, the ROT is 10 watts per 150 gals + one step up.

Thx,

Dave

greenmagi said:
there is a online store that sells jebo units I just dont remember what its called.. it would be alot cheaper then going with the bigger name brand units... anyone got that link? They also sell the jebo/odyssea light strips, filters and such..

Www.aquatraders.com

But, I have heard bad things about them, so if I was in the market I would still go with ebay.

E-bay is the way to go.. just thought it might be another option.. the fact that it has a bad rep is a good reason to go with e-bay
the more watts you have the higher the flow rate can be through the filter and it still kill everything effectively... thats why I would go with the jebo if I was to buy one..

I searched some reviews for the jebo and from what I'm seeing, not a lot of ppl are too fond of them. There were several comments about leaks and poor craftsmanship.

dave

If something leaks then send it back.. its a inexpensive UV.. you could buy 4 of them for the price of one of those "superior" products.. the first 2 could be horrible and you got nothing for them (other then selling them to me..LOL) and if the 3rd one worked as it should you would save money.. at least 25%.. try to look at a big online retailer for a 36watt UV filter and come back and tell me that Im wrong... JK
personally if I couldnt get the seller to replace it.. and that would be very improbable.. I would fix it.. but thats just me..

I can't remember the exact science, but I have been told by a couple of sources that pond UV work in a slightly way to aquarium ones and as such wouldn't be as effective in an aquarium setup.

I think it was to do with the distance between the tube and thw water.

I may be wrong, but it is something I have heard a few times.

Andy

I would spend the extra money and get the turbo twist. The jebo has no warranty or instructions for that matter. And if you buy it on ebay, good luck getting a replacement or refund. I bought the 13watt Jebo a year or so back, havent really hooked it up because there were no flow recommendations! You have to guess, I guess. It came with a powerhead, but for maximum dwelltime for that size sterilizer, it's too much.

The turbo twists are on sale right now on drsfosterandsmith 30% off. Only 69.99 for the size you need. Good deal!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...k=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

I've ordered from aquatraders before and had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom