Vacuum and tank bottom packed with Texas holey rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I used large pieces of texas holey rock as a base for my mbuna tank. The 4 foot 55 gal tank is only about 12 inches wide, so there isn't a lot of room to get to the substrate and vacuum in lots of places. I have a python with a standard vacuum, are there alternative fittings that are thinner for tighter spaces? What about something to blow out accumulation in the many caves and crevices that no vacuum could ever reach into?

So, I used large pieces of texas holey rock as a base for my mbuna tank. The 4 foot 55 gal tank is only about 12 inches wide, so there isn't a lot of room to get to the substrate and vacuum in lots of places. I have a python with a standard vacuum, are there alternative fittings that are thinner for tighter spaces? What about something to blow out accumulation in the many caves and crevices that no vacuum could ever reach into?
Attache a smaller head to the unit and fill tube partially with water, insert tube into your mouth and blow gently. The water pressure should blow debris out. Seems like it would work.

I think some people use power heads to keep stuff from settling
While there is lots of circulation from the two canister filters, there are always nooks and crannies with low flow. I suppose I could alter the direction of the output periodically. A powerhead would seem like overkill.

Attache a smaller head to the unit and fill tube partially with water, insert tube into your mouth and blow gently. The water pressure should blow debris out. Seems like it would work.
Or perhaps a turkey baster to move about the tank and blow out the hard to reach areas?

Or perhaps a turkey baster to move about the tank and blow out the hard to reach areas?

That's a very effective and common practice in reef tanks, i do it twice weekly myself and it works great.

Your Tank

Hello Tom...

The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank is a great natural fertilizer for your aquatic plants when it dissolves and is home for the good bacteria. I don't remove it for these reasons. It saves money on commercial fertilizers.

Don't worry about a little bit of mulm collecting on the tank bottom or around decor, just keep up with the water changes and the water chemistry will be safe and steady.

B

Hello Tom...

The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank is a great natural fertilizer for your aquatic plants when it dissolves and is home for the good bacteria. I don't remove it for these reasons. It saves money on commercial fertilizers.

Don't worry about a little bit of mulm collecting on the tank bottom or around decor, just keep up with the water changes and the water chemistry will be safe and steady.

B

Dude its a African cichlid tank. I'm sure there are no plants.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No plants. I have never had much luck with plants, even before I changed over to African cichlids.

Having second thoughts about the turkey baster this time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom