Via Aqu Pumps!! ARG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used to praise this pump and now am hating it more and more. I have 2 pumps sitting in my 35 gallon trash can mixing SW all the time. For some reason after about 3 months they simply quit working. I take them out and scrub them, bang on them, etc to try and get them to run again. I can take off the impeller protector and partly submerge the pump and it runs. When I put them all the way under the water, the impeller quite turning. How do you guys keep your pumps running? Via Aqua are the only ones I have found like this. I did use them in my tank but would come home to find them wobbeling and humming and not really running...any ideas?

If I had to take a guess, it would be that your pump problems stem from saltwater being somewhat abrasive. When used on saltwater, a submersible pump with a soft polypropylene pump head probably erodes 1/1000th of an inch at a time. Depending on the original manufacturing clearances, at some point the extra clearance results in the impeller being able to shift or tilt.

While I don't run SW, I have had excellent luck with Danner Mag-Drive submersible pumps on FW. Also, in non-aquarium applications on abrasive and corrosive fluids, I know that Little Giant makes non-submersible mag coupled pumps with fiberglass reinforced ryton pump heads which are much more resistant to abrasion and chemical attack. See http://www.littlegiant.com/LittleGiant/Indcat.nsf/HighlyPumpsWebView . Using a non-submersible would require the installation of bulkhead fittings on the side of your trash can, but that shouldn't be a big deal to wind up with a single circ pump which will last for 3 years versus replacing two submersibles every 3 months !

Back
Top Bottom