Via Aqua Canister vs Fluval Canister Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small 10g porcelain bowl with a couple of gold fish. I want to add a canister filter and was considering either the Fluval 104 or Via Aqua 230.

If these can be adjusted to lower the flow, then I would consider the next size up since they are only a few dollars more.

So the question is... which is better? Fluvals or Via Aquas?

And... Can the flow be adjusted? And does anyone think they are too much for a 10g even with an adjustable flow?

Thanks

Save your money and get a bigger tank too. You should have a 20g for two Goldfish, then you can work on a canister filter. I would use a Fluval 204 on a 20g tank.

Money's not the problem. It's that the space we have, the bowl fits perfectly. Right now the fish are only about 1-2" long. If they get too large, we'll relocate them to a different tank.

What's the general consensus on the filters?

Seems to me you will find equal performance from either filter for this relatively small volume of water. I don't think it will matter a bit.

A porcelain bowl? May I assume it is opaque? I would love to see a pic of this setup! Sounds lovely.

Just trying to figure out which filter is more reliable since they both cost the same. The bowl/pot is approx. 10g give or take... and is opaque. The fish are only viewable from the top. I'm not exactly sure what the "thing" is made of...

Does anyone think it would flow too much? And is the flow rate adjustable? Thx.

First off, IMO a canister for 10g is overkill. A canister for a 20g is overkill.

That being said, of the two canisters you list, I've only had a Fluval. I was happy with the first one, disappointed with the second one which is why I now have an Eheim. I really think the Fluval does the better job, but I don't want to replace my canister every year or two. On the fluval the flow can be controlled by valves inline.

What would you recommend then? I can't use a HOB and thought that the canister would be best, plus it would add some volume.

Lately, my mind's been trained to think in th realms of the sw world where overkill is good when it comes to filtration; eg protein skimmers

For goldfish it is always wise to filter heavily. For this setup, though, I am thinking about some kind of internal filter, but I am not sure how the esthetics of your filtration impact the decision. A canister type is good to keep bulky items off the side of the tank and minimize the equipment visible with the fish. In your case, a quality internal filter or sponge filter, with water changes several times a week might be the way to go.

Can you post a pic?

My vote is for the Via Aqua. Both can adjust flow and have any media in them. I own both types of canister filtes and the Via Aqua is quieter, and has handles--which is great, especially dealing with a larger model!!

I'm with you on the cannister filter TygGer. I don't think you can over filter and aquarium. The cannister will also be less intrusive on your goldies giving them more room. I've no experience with Via Aqua, but am a believer in Fluval. Fluval has a great design for ease of cleaning.

HTH

I've got the via aqua- just set it up on a new 37- I admit it had me worried at first- it was noisy (due to air in the system) when I had a pantyhose cover on the intake (I was waiting for the sand to settle!), but as soon as I took off the pantyhose, the filter is quiet as a mouse and works beautifully :wink:

I just cleaned the Fluval and Via Aqua canisters today. I wanted to give my seal of approval once again for the Via Aqua. It is so much easier to move! Plus, I forgot the trays on the inside have handles. This Via Aqua is used on an 80 gal tank and does a great job. The trays are large and hold more media IMO (when compared to a relative sized Fluval).

Back
Top Bottom