Vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 72g tank is two weeks old and it is sitty pretty on a Harwooded floor in my formal living room. I see a lot of vibration in the tank. Especially when kids are jumping in the other room the water shakes vigorously. The other day one of my neighbor's kids came over and was hitting the tank bit hard trying to scare the fish. Imagining the worst, my balls were in my mouth.

Is there anyway I can add a shock absorber of any kind? If I put a thick carpet under cabinet that holds tank will that help? Or can I put some kind of framing to nail the tank and the cabinet to the wall? Or just tell me that if I am being paraoid.

TIA

Is this on the first floor? The best thing you could do at this point is to sturdy up the floor under the tank with extra floor joists and floor supports. There is no way to get anything under the tank with out totally tearing it down.

Yes this is on the first floor and there is a basement underneath. I will investigate of adding more support in the basement.

I know adding something under the tank means I have to tear the whole setup down. If I have to tear it down, better now than later. I have had a 30g tank years ago and I never had this problem . At that time it was a carpeted floor and so I thought may be adding some thick carpet underneath will absorb the vibration.

Back
Top Bottom