Vintage Metal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The circular thing is the plate for an under gravel filter designed for bowls. It needs a length of rigid airline tube and a riser tube. Air is pumped into the rigid tube where it then rises up through the riser tube. This draws water up the riser tube which pulls water through the gravel and through the plate.
The air powered corner filter operates the same way as the UG filter mentioned above does, however, instead of gravel, water is drawn through a layer of filter fluff and activated charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That would make a lot of sense. It also came with two air makers and three coils of really old flexible tubing, so I guess someone just packed "all the fish stuff" up and donated it (I even got the cleaning sponges, no joke haha).

It sounds like then, all the parts for both filters are there. The itsy bitsy motor even still works.

Would the corner filter do the job of filtering the tank you think? Or should I opt for something else?
My dad had said (he pulled from memory) that with the corner one, you don't need to bubble it, since bubbles were a byproduct of the filtering. True or false?

Idk. My mom picked up the one I was referring to sometime in the 60s. Probably much older than that.

My dad was also saying 60s - "when he was a kid".

I believe it is before the Age of Silicone or least its application to aquariums.
"Vintage" is the preferred term :)

When I cleaned it out for water holding purposes, I checked the seal. I can't tell without pictures of other people's resealing, but this one was nice and tight. It's definitely not the black tar that I read about (with worry) online.

That would make a lot of sense. It also came with two air makers and three coils of really old flexible tubing, so I guess someone just packed "all the fish stuff" up and donated it (I even got the cleaning sponges, no joke haha).

It sounds like then, all the parts for both filters are there. The itsy bitsy motor even still works.

Would the corner filter do the job of filtering the tank you think? Or should I opt for something else?
My dad had said (he pulled from memory) that with the corner one, you don't need to bubble it, since bubbles were a byproduct of the filtering. True or false?

Bubble filters and air- powered ugf's I always thought worked quite well. I had an air-powered hob at one stage and that still pulled water out of the tank quite nicely.

But nowadays I'd go for today's technology with what I assume would be higher flow rates (unless growing out small fry).

I believe it is before the Age of Silicone or least its application to aquariums.
"Vintage" is the preferred term :)

Lol - I find it really amazing to last so long. Would be tempted to set it up as it was.

Bubble filters and air- powered ugf's I always thought worked quite well. I had an air-powered hob at one stage and that still pulled water out of the tank quite nicely.

But nowadays I'd go for today's technology with what I assume would be higher flow rates (unless growing out small fry).

Gotcha. I really want to give it a go, so I'll try it out. I think I'm going to go for the betta+shrimp route, so it should be okay (right?).
Even if it's not that great for the animals, I figure it'd be a lot easier to pull out and replace with an external filter than the other way around.

You could use the bubble up corner filter with biomedia (such as ceramic media) on the bottom and floss on top. It won't have the classic look of white floss over black charcoal/carbon though. However, you can achieve that same look using API Bio Chem Stars. They are black.
If you do use this filter, try not to overstock your tank.

I'll keep that in mind! I'm going to pop by PetCo tomorrow for their buy 2 get 1 sale on some plants and to see what they've got available.

What would be considered overstocking with a betta and shrimp? I was going to do 1 betta and 3-5 shrimp.

I'll keep that in mind! I'm going to pop by PetCo tomorrow for their buy 2 get 1 sale on some plants and to see what they've got available.

What would be considered overstocking with a betta and shrimp? I was going to do 1 betta and 3-5 shrimp.

What type of shrimp are you considering? Not 100% sure but I think smaller shrimp like RCS might end up being a betta snack....

You could use the bubble up corner filter with biomedia (such as ceramic media) on the bottom and floss on top. It won't have the classic look of white floss over black charcoal/carbon though. However, you can achieve that same look using API Bio Chem Stars. They are black.
If you do use this filter, try not to overstock your tank.

Plus 1 on stocking.

The bubble filters I had were see-through and after a bit the filter wool gets looking pretty grubby. One thing I don't miss. I used to throw out the carbon when filter cleaning (and any bacteria populations), but I think the ugf probably helped there as it would of had a decent bacteria population in it.

It's all so cute!

I'm going to add more substrate, as the roots are straggling though, but before I do - does anyone recommend a particular fertilizer? I did a bit of research on root tabs last night, but this is my first time fertilizing, so I'd be grateful for your opinions and experience too :)

The darling little filter has the biomedia that Fresh suggested above - I rather like it. The brown feels slightly less contrasty than black carbon would.
PetCo was out of floss and PetSmart didn't carry it, so I went with a blue filter sponge that a worker said he uses on all his tanks. If it works, awesome! If not, PetCo is literally ten minutes away.
I am having a problem with it floating... More rocks in the bottom chamber? Right now I'm forcing the air tube to force it downwards, but I can't leave a rock on that forever lol.

What do you guys think of it all??
PetCo had "baby bettas" that are highly tempting, but I've never cared for a baby.
Someone above also mentioned being careful about shrimp selection with bettas - any recommendations on that?

omg I'm so excited about it haha

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421076671.013418.jpg

I would suggest you forget the betta if you want shrimp. The betta needs warm water to thrive while the shrimp don't. If you go with shrimp, you won't need a heater. Also, baby shrimp will get trapped in that filter. One way to avoid this, ( as one of our club members who used to raise championship guppies) is to run the filter without the lid. It will still work, and shrimp or fish can go in and out of it.

Absolutely love it, that was a great find!

My last betta was a baby from Petco. Kept it in a simple 1.5g with light, no filter or heater. Awesome personality, had him for over 4 years!

Nano shrimp would look great in that tank but other than otos I don't think there are any fish that are safe if you want babies to live.

Yep, make sure there are no trapped air in the floss. Perhaps the dark media is not as heavy as the traditional charcoal. I think some of those box filters had a small, flat piece of plastic under the base and it allowed the owner to pile some gravel on it to keep it in place.
You could add some small stones in the box for weight but under the floss so you don't see it.
That tank is so retro even the hipsters don't get it.

Yep, make sure there are no trapped air in the floss. Perhaps the dark media is not as heavy as the traditional charcoal. I think some of those box filters had a small, flat piece of plastic under the base and it allowed the owner to pile some gravel on it to keep it in place.
You could add some small stones in the box for weight but under the floss so you don't see it.

Yep a layer of gravel on the bottom. That never gets changed because that is the bio media. Think of it as a little under gravel filter I vaguely remember using these when I was like 10. there should be a small grate that sits inside on the bottom and the gravel, about a 1/4 to 1/2" of it goes on top of the grate.

That rings a bell! Think I had some with the plate (advanced technology!) and some without.

Hate to be a little negative but they take up sooo much room. Once I swapped to HOB's never went back.

Back
Top Bottom