Vortech pump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so after everyone talking about how great they are (you know who you are lol) I've decided this is gonna be my next purchase equipment wise and need some advice. First off since this is such an expensive pump savings is major so where would he the best place to shop for them. Secondly I originally decided to get a pair of MP10s but after thinking about it I thought maybe one MP40 would be a better choice since I wanna keep in mind that I will upgrade in the future and don't want $200 underpowered pumps...I have a 46 bowfront mixed reef which I'm taking towards a more sps dominant tank in the future so I am looking for the higher end of flow. Lastly is anybody running them in a bowfront tank because I've found it to be difficult to prevent a "toilet bowl" effect in my tank with limited origins of flow (if you have or had a bowfront you should know what I mean lol). Thanks guys :)

Ecotech has MAP pricing restrictions, so you'll find the same price anywhere. I'd look around for a good used one on some of the bigger reef forums. I lucked in to my MP10 for a lot less than a new one, and it was like new. Don't get an MP40, it's entirely too big for your tank. A single MP10 would be sufficient, two would be more than enough. I have one MP10 on my 40 breeder and it never goes above 50%.

mfdrookie516 said:
Ecotech has MAP pricing restrictions, so you'll find the same price anywhere. I'd look around for a good used one on some of the bigger reef forums. I lucked in to my MP10 for a lot less than a new one, and it was like new. Don't get an MP40, it's entirely too big for your tank. A single MP10 would be sufficient, two would be more than enough. I have one MP10 on my 40 breeder and it never goes above 50%.

See the only reason I wanted a pair would be to alternate the flow but the mp40 came to mind cause like I said it'll give me more options later. Would I be able to dial back the 40 to work or is it still gonna be overpowered

IMO, it's going to be too much, period. At minimum, it pushes 1000gph. You really have to see one in action to understand how it works. It almost acts as two powerheads, as it creates an undertow which pulls water from the bottom as it pushes water at the top. It's really an awesome system. Fort has two MP10's in his 57g, and has them turned down pretty far because they just create so much flow. You can certainly achieve 'random' flow only with one, and I'd highly suggest getting one and only adding another if you're unhappy with the results of a single.

Thanks rookie. Would you have any idea on how to combat the last question. With my current pumps (vortech I could only imagine would make it worse) I have trouble keeping the flow from sweeping.across the bowfront and piling my sand in the corner.

I've tried aiming another jet against the flow to only have it create a crazy under current across the front bottom. The flow.issues alone I've had with my bowfronts are my only problem with the design and almost enough to make me scrap em even though I really really want the 155 bowfront for.my next tank haha

Well, I've never had any issues with sand blowing around with mine. I guess the type of sand might play a factor, but mine has been nothing but a great decision since I got it back in January.

K well time to start setting some money aside lol.

Back
Top Bottom