Wanna build a sump, Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I am planning on purchasing a 110g tank very soon. I am emailing someone right now about one that comes pre-drilled. I was thinking it might be fun / cost-effective to build a sump similar to this one out of a used fish tank.

Aquarium Filtration: All-Glass Aquarium MegaFlow Sump Filter Wet/Dry Filter

First of all how big of a fish tank would I need to purchase? What size pump would I need? and have any of you found any exact instructions? exact measurements would be best because I have never used a sump filter before and so it would be difficult for me to "figure it out" I know this is a lot so thanks for any info you can provide.

You can start with a glass tank, or build your own acrylic tank as the base of your sump. It depends on how much room you have under your cabinet.

Generally, it is best to get as big a sump as you can fit. So basically start out by figuring the biggest tank that will fit in your space, remember to leave enough room so it will go through cabinet doors, & leave some room on top for maintenance (a foot is good). After you get that dimension, you can figure out the rest.

"The rest" depends on what you are keeping, SW vs FW ... etc. This is a good place to start:
Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?
http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html
<Look at the rest of the site too ... there are lots of good info there.>

Awesome Thanks! I was thinking a 30 gallon would be best to start with, it will be a little while before I work on it though, I'm still trying to figure out if this large tank will come crashing down on us! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom