Water Conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been fishkeeping for quite sometime, just have community tanks. I've been hearing really good things about Prime (Seachems) water conditioner. I currently use Tetra Aqua Safe Plus. Any comments?

gail

Prime is very economical and works great. Usually cheaper online. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as dechlorinates. Good stuff. Everything I've used from Seachem is good stuff.

I've been fishkeeping for quite sometime, just have community tanks. I've been hearing really good things about Prime (Seachems) water conditioner. I currently use Tetra Aqua Safe Plus. Any comments?

gail

Personally speaking, in regards to Prime, don't even bother ...........

............with anything else:D. Prime's as good as it gets. I consider it the best
conditioner / dechlorinator. There are others that are fine ... but I find prime to be the most economical and best option as mentioned. (y)

Prime is by far the best bang for your buck. It's treats a lot more water compared to others at the same price. I wouldn't use anything else.

I agree with everyone else. I recently switched to Prime from Api stress coat. Super product. Is very expensive for me(have to import from the US), but i think it's worth it. I found the stress coat left slime on my decor and equipment. Has gone since switching to Prime.....

Prime also comes in a powdered form called SAFE from Seachem. It used to be hard to find but I see more places online carrying it these days. It is actually much more economical than the liquid Prime version. It only takes a very minute amount of powder even for a large tank. If you use a lot of Prime or cost is an issue then look into SAFE.

Prime also comes in a powdered form called SAFE from Seachem. It used to be hard to find but I see more places online carrying it these days. It is actually much more economical than the liquid Prime version. It only takes a very minute amount of powder even for a large tank. If you use a lot of Prime or cost is an issue then look into SAFE.
Yeah it took me AGES to find that SAFE. Just saving now for the cost of shipping it to Ireland!!!

If you want to save money use pond prime its the exact same but more powerful

If you don't believe me do a search on you tube for prime vs pond prime

Even seachem admit its the same

Agreed, try shipping that to Ireland!!!!

You can get ANYTHING shipped if you go about it the right way

I get 1 kg bags of hikari massivore shipped to the UK from the US with no problem

You just need to ask sellers on US eBay via message if you don't ask you don't get its as simple as that

SAFE is much more economical than Pond Prime. A 250 gram container of SAFE is about $8 and treats 50,000 gallons. A 500 ml bottle of Prime is slightly more and treats 5,000 gallons. A 500 ml bottle of Pond Prime is slightly more again and treats 10,000 gallons. So SAFE treats 5 times as much water for less money and comes in a smaller lighter container which will reduce shipping costs.

You can get ANYTHING shipped if you go about it the right way

I get 1 kg bags of hikari massivore shipped to the UK from the US with no problem

You just need to ask sellers on US eBay via message if you don't ask you don't get its as simple as that
Agreed. I meant, imagine the cost of shipping a 2ltr bottle of pond prime!!!!!.
I have to import most of my stuff anyway....haha

I use a cap-full of Prime every time I do a PWC on my 45 gallon. This is nice and easy to measure. The problem is I have a difficult time using it on my 10 gallon QT because I cant measure that small of an amount.
Is the powdered version easier to measure out for smaller applications?

The powered form of Prime is so concentrated that you would use a very small amount for even a 45 gallon tank very well a 10 gallon one. If these are the only two tanks you have I would stick with the liquid Prime version. You might try an eye dropper to measure for the 10 gallon tank.

The powered version is really for larger tanks as you are not suppose to pre-mix it as it lack the stabilizers in the liquid version.

I use a cap-full of Prime every time I do a PWC on my 45 gallon. This is nice and easy to measure. The problem is I have a difficult time using it on my 10 gallon QT because I cant measure that small of an amount.
I agree, stick with the liquid. Go to your local chemist or vets and ask them for a 1ml syringe. A rough calculation is you would need about 0.5ml for a 50% water change on a 10g. You'll have to work it out yourself to be sure.
5ml=50g
2.5ml=25g
1.25ml=12.5g and so on....

You can go to your local walgreens and ask the pharmacist for a couple 5ml medicine droppers just tell them it for dosing meds in you aquarium and they will give you a couple free.

Back
Top Bottom