Water Flow in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archangelvk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand the importance of having good water flow throughout the tank for plants and fish. I have this 4 foot long 33G tank and as you can see in the picture (which I hope worked) I have the filter (AC 50) on the left side of the center brace. I was wondering if there would be enough water flow to the left side of the tank (the pool filter substrate side) since there are so many plants in that section. If not, would it be better to add another HoB filter (which would have to be another AC50 since my AC20 wasnt big enough to hang off the back)? or some kind of power head/ wave maker? Im planning to keep Apistos in there and I know they dont like crazy currents.

Attachments

• Flow.jpg
    Flow.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 66
You can add another hob or you can add an airstone if you are worried about not having enough current.

You can add another hob or you can add an airstone if you are worried about not having enough current.

Thanks for your response. Will something as simple as an airstone help with circulation? I thought those just agitated the water at the surface level?

If it's the right size then yes it will. I had a larger one in my 55g (also 4ft) and it helped move the water.

If it's the right size then yes it will. I had a larger one in my 55g (also 4ft) and it helped move the water.

So what would you go with? the Hob or airstone ? or should I say.. what would move the water better between the two ?

So what would you go with? the Hob or airstone ? or should I say.. what would move the water better between the two ?

Another HOB filter, for what it costs to buy an air pump, air stone, check valve and tubing it would make more sense to buy a new or slightly used HOB filter.

Check out Aqueon, they have a filter buy back program - Bring in your old, broken or working filter, buy a pack of filter cartridges and they will supply you with the same or similar sized HOB filter for free.

I went with the airstone because I had it lying around the house anyway. A second HOB will work just as well, I just find them harder to hide.

Back
Top Bottom