Water flow... stumped.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybr you should describe your whole setup :) You have a HOB overflow supplying your sump and a homemade overflow supplying the frag tank? I doubt this is a good idea.

Kukki: If you pump is supplying 300 gph and the overflow can handle 600, you don't need to have any valve or T on the lines. If you are getting bubbles, check the area of the sump where the pump is. If you have bubble there, you will get them in the tank. Might need a bubble trap in the sump.

Or you might be getting air in the plumbing.

I see nothing but trouble with a homemade overflow like that. Get another HOB overflow and you won't have any of these issues.
I see a flood when a power outage happens and your not home to mess with the valve. I wish you luck..

Two overflows? one for the sump and one for the frag tank? isint that gonna be a little unsightly? What other options do I have to getting it plumbed? What do others do as far as this if they have both a sump/fuge and a prop tank?

JohnNLuc ~ seaham358 is right, right when the power goes out and that homemade overflow breaks, when the power comes back its not gonna have any way of saying primed and your tank is gonna flood (if not before the power comes back on in a diff tank)... if you still wanna DIY id try one of the overflows with the specimen containers that are in the DIY forum - but the flow rates might really vary, id just buy another =\

ellisz ~ my return pump does not shoot any bubbles back and i do have a bubble trap in the sump, its only when the water is low in the overflow, if i do open it all the way thats when it starts sucking air w/water into my overflows plumbing and bubbles into sump

so thats why i have the ball there, to keep the bulkhead completely submerged... i thought of trying to add something over top the bulkhead like a durso but only to keep the waterlevel alittle higher in the overflow, i put a extra 1" elbow fitting over top of it, and it stopped sucking air through, and removed it and it stayed fine, but when everything gets shut off and it goes back down, it starts all over again, so i just added that valve

i know i shiouldnt have it on there, the bubbles were making me angry tho :p

Don't you technically have 2 overflows now? One just does not have the box. I run my frag tank from my sump and gravity feed the water back into the sump.

I would think it would work but if it is hard to get set right, then it is an accident waiting to happen.

I have a HOB overflow supplying my sump and a hodemade overflow supplying the frag tank
no offense, but you need someone in your area to help you with your setup or you need to read more before you do anything else

ellisz ~ nah i dont .. i was considering it but i just tossed a 90 degree 1" left over elbow i had over the bulkhead and that stopped the bubbles, its not the sound because its pretty quite just the bubbles

but after i tweaked the ball valve and took off the elbow { so now its just the bulkhead and the filter sponge thing that goes around it, its not sucking any air or making any noise

i still might make one so i can keep the valve open all the way, but have not had a chance to play with it, been working on my truck :p

Back
Top Bottom