water from a dehumidifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on using water from my dehumidifier for my tank water changes. I have super hard water in my area and like to keep South american fish that tend towards the soft side. I know I can go and buy water RO water form the fish store or even the grocery store. I am wondering though if water from a dehumidifier or an air conditioning unit will work as well. This is water that is pulled out of the atmosphere so I figure it should be soft. Anyway has anyone else done this? I think this will work. I will go and test this water and find out its parameters to see if this is what I want.

DON"T. Water from dehumidifiers typically is rife with assorted chemical pollutants, bacteria, and fungal spores....using this water on your tank would likely have everything in your aquarium dead in pretty short order.

agree'd, dehumidifier water should never ever be used in your aquarium. tons of airborne contaminents will be in there, including mold spores and who knows what else.

I guarantee you that your LFS uses the same hard tap water in all their tanks, without problems.

If you need lower hardness to induce breeding in certain species, use RO/DI water to do it.

You know I've never heard about it(using water from dehumidifier), but I think it'll not work, as the other members have already told the water from dehumidifiers is full of bacteria............ don't use it! :???:

Just so you know, this post is over four years old and they will more than likely not respond to your post.

Back
Top Bottom