Water on inside of canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumps36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On my coldwater 20 gallon tank, I've noticed that the inside of the lid is always wet & that includes the lighting tubes :confused:

Is it meant to be like that?

I've submerged the filter pump but the bubbles from the airstone are the cause of it. The tank's not filled totally, (about 1/2 inch from the "Fill" line). I've tried turning down the flow of air from the airpump, but that just causes the bubbles to only come from one end of the airstone. Not really that desirable.

Can anyone sugest something please :) I want to get this sorted as I'm worried about the effect the water will have on the tubes. I've got a drip loop in the cabling, so I'm not too worried about that.

Mine too. The water on the lid/light is coming from the air stone bubbles. The spray will coat all everything it can reach when the bubble breaks the surface. I don't know how you can stop it without removing the air stone. I was worried about moisture and corrosion of the light.
So...
You may be able to lower the water level enough to stop it from reaching the light. I tried it and didn't like the results of that.

I removed the lid/light and cleaned the underside with paper towles and vinegar. Next, I got some Glad Cling Wrap out of the kitchen and put it under the lid pressing it to the edges of the fluorescent light fixture. I punched 3 small holes in the plastic wrap(used a small utility knife) to let any moisture trapped inside to drain away. Then I trimmed the edges of the plastic once the lid was back in place (small utility knife again). The weight of the lid is helping to hold the plastic wrap on.
So far the light has stayed dry and the plastic has stayed in place without any issues.

I can live with the spray on the glass as long as the light is protected.

Don't think this would work for an incandescent light though. They may produce too much heat that close to the bulb.

I may drain another couple of inches & put some decoration round the top of the tank so that the water line isn't evident.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom