Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
warped1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Philly, Pa.
Posts: 364
Water return measure?

Hello folks - I've got a question. Is there a way to measure or some how gauge the water return from a canister pump? This is my first ever canister and I am using the Marineland C-220, a new unit by this company. I read on this site that the water return on other canisters are so strong that they require a spray bar. I don't see that kind of current. The attachment that came with the unit to disburse water return is a square looking thing with directional vents (not a spray bar). But it just don't seem like allot of return pressure so I was wondering if somehow I could get a reading on it?
Thanks for the help on this one folks

warped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle-ish, WA
Posts: 5,340
Don't confuse pressure with flow. You're not going to see any pressure... it's flow you're after.

With that said, they do make little cheapie flow meters that you can plumb inline with your plumbing, but I'm not sure how you'd hook that up to the output of your cannister easily. Your best bet would be to just redirect the output into a marked bucket of some sort (with marks at every quart or gallon) and count how many gallons or quarts you get when the pump is turned on for 1 minute. Then just multiply that number (in gallons) by 60 and you'll have your GPH figure. Crude, but it works.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 220
The Dr Foster & Smith catalog has a flow meter that would work perfectly in your situation.

Just found it: page 18, F&S Aquarium Supplies 25 years... at the bottom,
part #AGN-25783 $ 7.99 for up to 250 gph
part #AGN-33040 $ 21.99 for 200 to 500 gph

Attaches inline to your output tube.

Hope this helps...
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Pumps for return from sump GhostKnife General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 02-01-2009 05:16 PM
Water Stats: What to Measure theotheragentm Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 01-03-2008 11:08 AM
Plumbing help! - return water into the sump is noisy austinsdad DIY Projects 7 05-01-2006 08:22 AM
Canister filter water return...how far below surface.... gfink Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 2 04-02-2006 01:11 PM
Return Pump is pushing water too fast Aztlan Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 01-27-2004 08:30 PM

» Photo Contest Winners

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.