Wave maker power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've searched high and low and have yet to find somebody who can suggest a powerhead that's good for the on/off cycling of a wave maker. I took a chance and ordered the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro and 4 SEIO Prop Super Flo Pumps despite their statement that they aren't for wave making controllers. Has anybody here actually had success with any particular power head or has anybody taken a chance with power heads that the manufacturer specifically says no wavemakers?

I've ruled out Wave2K and really expensive Tunze systems et al. I'm wondering if my setup that's coming will last a while and if a powerhead craps out it's still cost-beneficial just to periodically replace them.

I dunno, but I had the Red Sea Wavemaster and liked it with 3 maxijet pumps. That was just a 72g tank though. I turned them on and off intermittently and had the feeding button. Nite time calm alsdo. If your PHs plug in, won't they work? Why do they say they don't do controllers? Maybe they don't like on and off too quickly.

I am using the Tunze on my 155g w/controller. Expensive though.

I have one its a reef finatic wave creator that has 8 different settings also feed and test mode. Two korlallia 3s and one korallia 2. Each time a power head kicks on it makes a cracking fluttering noise then runs fine. Is this normal for a power head start up?

I have one its a reef finatic wave creator that has 8 different settings also feed and test mode. Two korlallia 3s and one korallia 2. Each time a power head kicks on it makes a cracking fluttering noise then runs fine. Is this normal for a power head start up?

The koralias you are using are not intended for a wave maker. They will eventually fail.

Maxijets are great for wavemakers and are often seen sold as a kit.

If you want to drop $300 the Vortech MP20 is a great option. Flow rates of 500-2000gph with lots of features.

Well Ziggy just any maxijet or is there one in particular? I was looking at the mod for them that upgrades flow. The korallia 3s I was going to use are rated 850 gph. The lowest maxijet is rated 1300 gph. What should I use for my 75 gal tank. I guess this question is for anyone but Ziggy is the godfather.

I have a Maxi Jet 900 with the sureflow 1600 mod kit on it. I'm waiting on the second mod kit to arrive so I can put my other MJ 900 in the tank with it. I will also have 2 660gph Tunze Streams in the tank at the same time so that is 3920gph flow just from those 4 pumps. In short, no, adding that pump with the mod will not blow things away in the tank. The flow is wide and gentle but means business.

With the mod kit they are not intended for wave makers.

Okay I might just sell my wavemaker on ebay. Or I might keep it and use with regular maxi jets later on down the road. For now I am going to run my korallias well once I start the tank. But this will help me get everything at least started up!!! Oh and sorry Lynxpilot I did not mean to take over your thread. Thanks Ziggy!!

Well, it didn't take long. Scratch one SEIO. I just ordered 4 maxi-jet 900's. I'll have to trade the other 3 SEIO's at the frag meet I guess.

Back
Top Bottom