Wavemaker help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey, im considering on buying a wave maker. all of the ones i look at are just big boxes with different setting, but nothing seems to actually make the waves . Are wavemakers just boxes attached to powerheads? Im really dumbfounded by all of this. and what are some benifits of wavemakers?

i have a 30 gallon reef aquarium
40 punds of LR
(thought this info might help)

Wave makers are just boxes that control the powerheads to create a current in the tank. I use a Red sea wave maker powerstrip and have been happy with it.

There are also items such as the Wave2K or Tunze wavemakers, but most people opt for either the PH wavemaker fo rthy Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector.

THey dont actually create waves that crest. They basically turn powerheads on and off to produce a random current instead of your powerheads running constantly in the same direction all the time.

Benifits: Like the ocean there are random currents all the time. This helps give yout tank and animals in the tank natural random current.

Would'nt constantly turning pumps/PH's on and off shorten their life span?

My friend has just bought the Tunze controller and stream pumps. They make pretty good waves over normal PH. Since the Tunze stream pumps runs at low voltage, their life span should be better. They are so good that I would like to buy one, but unfortunately they are way too much for me.

I like the Hydor Flo product which rotates the output from any ph. They only cost $10.

Back
Top Bottom