wavemakers and powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This one will be a good question for those with a lot of experience with reef tanks.

I started my 90G with three Maxijet 1200s on a wavemaker power bar. The powerbar has three "wave" outlets. It's a Naturalwave.

I found that the powerhead setup I have is great for the 90G as it helps keep things suspended in the water column and keeps the water moving in a counter-clockwise direction and straight down the overflow (overflow is blue and powerheads are red).

The maxijets didn't seem to be moving enough water so I removed them and put in two koralia 4's (1200GPh) to replace the left and right Maxijets, with the heads pointed upwards for a bit of surface agitation. The corals, and fish, seemed to love the extra agitation but since the two koralias were not on the wavemaker they were a constant-on kind of flow.

I've modded the maxijets but they still don't push out the water like the koralia. The maxijets are back in the tank, modded, and I've noticed that my frogspawn just isn't opening like it used to. The frogspawn is located at the front of the tank, right-side, near the top. Is used to get a moderate flow from the koralia located at the front left of the tank.

I'd like to put the koralias back in, but does anyone know what kind of life expectancy I'll get if I put them on the wavemaker? From what I've seen, only the maxijets are recommended to be on a wavemaker. I don't want to stick the Koralia on there just to have it burn out after a week.

Maybe I'll just replace the front left maxijet with continuous-on koralia. I'd like to keep the flow fairly chaotic. Perhaps just the two maxijets on the wavemaker with the one continuous-on koralia will be enough.

Attachments

• flow diagram.JPG
    flow diagram.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 117
I had 2 4's plus my 600gph return in one of my 90's setup something like that. I had to exchange them out for 3's. Either my sand was too fine or the flow too great, either way I could never get the sand to settle. Always had some in the water column. Even now with the 3's, when my inhabitants stir it up, it stays suspended for quite some time

Back
Top Bottom