Ways to protect fish in power outages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skald

Aquarium Advice Newbie
2yrs in a row in the coldest weather I have gotten hit with multi-day power outages. Most of my fish made it through last year (2.5days). I lost my angel fish, but everyone else recovered.

This year it was out for 6.5days. I put blankets over the tanks and periodically added warm water, but by day 4 when temp in house dropped into the low 40s, all but 3 platies died. I saved them by taking them to a friend's house, but I didn't know anyone with a tank big enough for my angel, Australia rainbows, clown loach, and gourami. (50gal) in addition to guppies (like 4adults and 7fry) (20gal) an African frog &the platies.

The platies have finally recovered and I am restarting the 50gal which was nasty ? even though I'd pulled all the dead fish out while it was still frigid, but there was plant waste too. My 20gal recovered no problem. I did a partial water change, waited a couple days and added my 3girls back in and all good.

Why might the 50have been so much worse?
I saw a thread on heaters and APCs but I'm thinking that's not really worth it?

I've only lost fish once in the summer, and it wasn't even a power outage. Ex turned off the a/c while we were away w/o telling me.?

Tips? Suggestions?

A friend has a generator but with the price of gas, back when it was 2.50 his mom ran through $60 in one day ?.

Anyone have one that's easy to use and not a fuel guzzler? (I have never used a generator but may invest.)

You did right by wrapping the tank up. You also need to sit there and keep some aeration in the tank keep the water moving. If you keep a power head going that will sit there and warm up the water a little bit. You should gain a few degrees in your tank by keeping the power head running constantly.

Back
Top Bottom