Wet/Dry Filter help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently finished my cycle of my 75 gallon saltwater tank. I used a wet/dry filter to start the cycle. My reasoning for this was because of the fact I used mainly Lace Rock for my setup and just a small amount of live rock. I figured it would get the cycle going quicker. It may have been a stupid idea but its too late now.

Well my cycle is done and I added 2 clowns and a small cleanup crew. Everyone is doing great, and other than some algae/diatom issues all my parameters are fine with nitrate only being around 10ppm. I'm not that concerned about having bioballs because I do a lot of maintenance on my tanks on a daily basis so I dont forsee having a nitrate problem in future.

I do however, want to setup a refugium but have no more room because of my wet/dry filter takes up almost the whole cabinet. If I were to remove the bioballs and go with a sump/refugium, would it be ok to remove the bioballs all at once? I do have about 150 lbs of rock in the tank right now and such a light bioload. I know its recommended to slowly remove them and if so that what I will do. I just thought maybe having so much rock that a lot of the bacteria would be colonizing that as well.

I would slowly remove them only because of it being a new tank. If it was well established esp. with that much LR I would say just take them all out but being a new tank let`s err on the side of being safe.

Thanks guys. Hate to be a pain but I was thinking of another way but not sure it would work. What if I set up my new sump and put the bioballs in my middle refugium area and slowly remove them in time. Skimmer would be in first section. Once they are gone I could start my refugium. They would basically be submerged now so I'm not sure if it would work.

My only problem with that is that they are pretty nasty now and switching over would just stir up that waste causing an ammonia spike. Just thinking out loud.

Yep, just be patient; and do it the right way. I learned the hard way:(

Back
Top Bottom