Wet/Dry filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afcc.77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I just recently bought a 140 gallon fish tank off a guy and it came with a wet/dry filter. I noticed that at the bottom of the filter after the water goes through the bio-balls there is usually a carbon pillow, with a piece of plastic behind it. On mine I do not have either of those and i am wondering if anyone knows where to find the piece, or if i even need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

No carbon needed, and ditch the bioballs, they will just trap debris and increase the nitrate concentration.

So in that case what could i replace the bio-balls with?

afcc.77 said:
So in that case what could i replace the bio-balls with?

You could use ceramic noodles, gravel, aragonite (if you want to buffer your water some) there are loads of different media to choose from. I'm sure your local aquarium shop can help you out :)

I use PVC noodles for my biomedia, Infact I got an extra large bag of extra here. its more porous then bioballs and ceramic noodles. Its spaghetti PVC.

If this is a SW tank then you should add Live Rock rubble in place of the bioballs. If it's FW, then the bioballs are fine.

I don't see how PVC can be more porous than ceramic. More surface area? Maybe. More porous -- doubtful.

If this is a SW tank then you should add Live Rock rubble in place of the bioballs. If it's FW, then the bioballs are fine.

I don't see how PVC can be more porous than ceramic. More surface area? Maybe. More porous -- doubtful.
actually once PVC's outer layer is gone its very porous. The outer layer shouldnt be used in this.

If you got a lathe you can make your own, but even on a wet/dry sump box the ends the hoses go on are shaved down, you can feel how porous it really is.

Back
Top Bottom