wet/dry or cannister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark0716

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 72 gallon bowfront has been up and running for one year, and everything is going great. Amonia and nitrites are at 0, and the nitrates run from 0 to 10. The fish and corals are thriving.

My filtering is done by live rock, an Aqua C Remora (which I clean 2 or 3 times per week) and a cannister filter (which I clean once per month). I do 10% water changes weekly.

The folks at my LFS say I'm crazy not to switch to a wet/dry system. They say it requires much less maintenance than the cannister, and that I will not have to do water changes so frequently.

The only reason I'm hesitating is that I will have to cut out the back of the filter compartment in my stand, because its only 18" deep.

In your opinion, is the wet/dry system that much better?

Save your money and go with a sump and live rock. I do think that wet/dry is better.

The folks at my LFS say I'm crazy not to switch to a wet/dry system
How much do they want to charge you for it :wink:
They say it requires much less maintenance than the cannister, and that I will not have to do water changes so frequently.
If you are currently doing regular water changes good for you, there is no reason to stop doing them. People are always looking for a way to not do as many water changes. They are not a bad thing so keep them up.
My 72 gallon bowfront has been up and running for one year, and everything is going great. Amonia and nitrites are at 0, and the nitrates run from 0 to 10. The fish and corals are thriving.
If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
In your opinion, is the wet/dry system that much better?
As far as filtration goes, not really. In terms of adding water volume and a place to hide equipment like heaters and skimmers, yes. I modified my wet/dry to contain about 30lbs of fully-submerged LR and I am happy with it.

Thanks very much. The new wet/would have cost around $180 including the pump, but, like you say, if things are working well, there is no reason to make a change-- or spend money.

Instead of a wet/dry system you might want to consider a sump/fuge setup which would give you a place to cultivate pods/plants. But it looks like you have a handle on everything so the only advantage is to keep your no3 down.

Back
Top Bottom