Wet/dry or cannister for 55g fresh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirbster23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to get a new filter and not sure which way to go. There are advantages to both I'm told. What I really want is a filter that can keep on it's own for two weeks because for work I'm gone that long frequently. I'm leaning toward a wet/dry system but what happens when the power goes out/on? I'm told cannisters just come back on with no problem, is this the same with wet/dry? Also with the stand I have I'm somewhat limited on space. 24 long x 11 wide x 19 high...all the space I have to work with. Two sides but one side has plugs, food and equiptment so can't use it for filter.

I can not speak on wet/dry filters because i have never used them. However I do use a canister filter and am very impressed with its performance and would highly recommend them. A canister will do everything you want form what you have posted.

I've been reading the forums and it seems that some people think cannister filters get a little disgusting when not cleaned on a regular basis. I don't plan on neglecting anything but wondering how bad do they get? Will wet/dry get as bad?

I would really recommend a canister for a freshwater aquarium. I started with a wet/dry with bioballs and had a lot of problems with getting nutrients and with the nitrates. Ever since going to a canister I've been very happy. Not only that but it was much quieter as well.

I've never had a problem with my canister filter getting disgusting or anything. I would clean it out ever 2-4 weeks.

If you have a properly sized filter, two weeks between cleanings should not be an issue. A wet-dry or sump filter will have no problems with power outages if it's designed correctly. The trick is to leave enough room in the sump to handle the water from the display tank until it stops overflowing.

Considering your space limitations, go with the canister.

Thanks for the input. I found a wet/dry that will fit pretty well, leave 4 inches on the long side and 2 inches on top, side doesn't matter much, open in the back. From what alot of people have told me, sellers, as long as I have enough room to get to the filter pad thats all that matters. I guess what I said about size isn't as important as how well the filter will work. Wet/dry filters are alot more expensive, so I just assumed they were better. Money doesn't matter as long as I get it right the first time.

The only reason I got a wet/dry filter for my FW tank is because I wanted to eventually get a SW tank, and this converts very easily. If you have the tank in a bedroom, the water trickle sounds good, when you're awake. It is very loud at night when you're trying to sleep (think heavy rain).

The W/D filter worked great with my 55gallon SW and is working just as nice with my SW. If you don't plan at all on getting a SW tank in the future, or if it's going to be in a bedroom, go with the canister.

Back
Top Bottom