wet/dry or refugium or both? help please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robzombay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i have a 55 g tank no w/ 60 lb. live rock,around 10 fish ,some snails,etc. i have a cascade 1000 canister filter,200watt heater,75g protein skimmer.i keep getting mixed reviews about ,wet/drys,refugiums and sumps.i bought some kit on ebay to yurn any 10 g tank into a refugium. my tank has only been up for a month and everything seems ok except nitrites a little hi.should i just go and get a wet/dry and be done w/ it.but i hear that if you have live rock AND a wet /dry that your making them fight for the biological aspect of everything.than i hear about a" reugiums are the best way to go",what do i do.
im new at this hobby and i already spent alot of money and i want to get the right stuff. please help

rob

Attachments

• p1020534_135.jpg
    p1020534_135.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 45
Ok well let me move this to the proper forum. You`ll get better answers there. Good Luck

Welcome to AA :D

Typically wet/drys use media to house bacteria which would cause your lr to have less bacteria but not keep it from having any.

1: I'd add another 20 lbs of base or lr to the tank which will provide all the bio-filtration you need.
2: remove all filter media from your cascade 1000 which will trap waste and build up your no3.
3: I see a ph in the photo but it looks like your tank could use a lot more circulation.
4: A 10 gal fuge sounds great. You only want about 200-300 GPH flowing through it.

Unless you have a heavy bio-load and/or fish that require pods I wouldn't bother with a fuge personally.

I think the 10 gallon wet dry replacing the filter media with LR rubble is an excellent Idea.

i have a 20 gallon sump/refugium because i have mandarins in my tank. it helps w/ the copepod growth. i like refugiums because it is a sort of natural filtration. it also helps w/ the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom