What are some options for filter media for my canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Marineland canister filter for my 75g tank and I'm wanting to save money on filter media. I've been buying the Marineland carbon bags, filter pads, and sponges but I'd like to know if there are any other options (perhaps DIY) that I can use.

Also, is it safe to reuse the bio balls that came with the filter if I clean them?

What do you guys use in your canisters?

Thanks!

I would personally run the first half of the available media space with Amazon cheap branded course sponges, tapering off to medium density sponges (as long as they state they are for aquarium / pond use), then 25% of the available media space with Seachem Matrix in a media bag for easy cleaning, and then the last 25% of the available space with fine filter polishing media like Seachem Purigen and filter floss.

So, the water would travel in this manner:

From tank -- > Course Sponge --> Course Sponge --> Medium Density Sponge --> Seachem Matrix in a media bag --> Filter floss --> Seachem Purigen.

Rinse sponges and Matrix in old tank water at least every other water change, replace filter floss every chance you get, recharge Purigen when it's needed (follow directions it comes with).

I have changed my canister to simple 10-20 ppi foam and the rest all pot scrubbies. I learned that your media must have water flowing through the media all the time and never around it. I removed all matrix because of this. Now the water is crystal clear and never cloudy like it was with matrix. Can go months now without cleaning.

Great. I found out it's not that good from other web sites and tests.

I am interested.

What are the tests?

Pot scrubbies have much less surface than matrix or other similar products. Even though water can move through them. Matrix also allows water to move through the material.

From Seachem link below

"Matrix™ is a high porosity biomedia that provides efficient biofiltration for the removal of nitrogenous waste. Matrix™ is a porous inorganic solid about 10 mm in diameter. Each liter of Matrix™ provides as much surface (>~700 m2) as 170 liters of plastic balls! Plastic bio-materials provide only external surface area, whereas Matrix™ provides both external and internal macroporous surface area. These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Matrix™, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter."

https://www.seachem.com/matrix.php

There are many things which work to grow BB - Pot scrubbies are one, new (never used) floor waxing pads would work as well. I have used pieces of bulk filter pad too.

You can use cleaning sponges (gunk up pretty quickly though), and sponges meant for aquarium filters as well.

A canister filter has just so much room and my bet is to get a large amount of BB growing room in what I would use.

There are numerous options for many budgets as well.

The Marine Pure looks to have more BB surface area in similar amounts of product.
https://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

It is nice that there are many options to choose from and due to maintenance, bioload, and feeding, also kinds of plants (shedding and or dying off) and if you use any prefiltering options makes frequency of cleaning the Canister vary greatly.

In addition, if you have very loosely packed media sometimes the water runs through the filter so fast it doesn't stay long enough to gain the full benefit of the BB nitrification process.

My 2 cents.

Sure I will post this. I found out that since Matrix is just Pumice Stone, stone is the key. Stone is not porous. What you say above is from Seachem. I found out if you put Matrix on the floor and hit it with a hammer it shatters in pieces so it is not porous. Here is some information and a great web site to find all this good info at.

[FONT=&quot]7.2.12. Matrix
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]7. Filter Media
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]7.1.3. Filter Media Test
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

This is the reason I switched from Matrix to foam and pot scrubbies.
10 times the surface area. Let me know.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really interesting.

K1 - It uses a fluidized filtration method used often in SW tanks.
This explains and demonstrated it a bit makes it easy to understand.

DIY

That is really interesting.

K1 - It uses a fluidized filtration method used often in SW tanks.
This explains and demonstrated it a bit makes it easy to understand.

DIY

Good videos. BTW the edit button now shows up. Thank you.

Last edited:
What about lava rock? I’ve heard that’s supposed to work really well and is cheap to pick up at most hardware stores.

The more porous a material is, the better it will be at mechanically filtering solid particles and debris that are floating in the water. In addition, the immense amount of surface area is ideal for cultivating colonies of beneficial nitrifying bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom