What do you guys think of 3D tank backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
Too expensive, or totally worth it?

These things seem a little hard to believe. Put them in your tank, and BOOM! Instant environment? Does anyone here have one?

big_canyonrock_1.jpg

malawi_4.jpg

install_bk_4.jpg

If you can afford it go for it, I think that both the amazon and the rocks (2nd & 3rd picture) look awesome; besides you don't have to wait after you have installed it to add your fish. The DIY pathway is fun if you have the time but it also can get a little frustrating when you don't get the results you want

MrPillow said:
I'd be paranoid about not getting a perfect seal and nutrients settling behind the background :lol:

Me too and I would have to buy a tank slightly bigger than usual because I would feel like it takes up valuable space haha

If you have to put the filter behind it, how is it secured in? Doesn't the big wall greatly diminish total circulation? How is it attached?

you glue it to the sides of the tank of that way you can use all the space that is left behind to hide the heater, filter, CO2 diffuser and anything else you have; it does reduce circulation but if you install it properly it can be minimized.

I wouldn't say instant environment more like instant aesthetically pleasing. I think it can be worth it as far as looks. I bought a 3D background and its sitting in an empty tank waiting to be set up. They can be expensive so DIY does look like a good alternative but IMO the DIY backgrounds (with the exception of very few) don't look as good as the ones you buy. I got mine for a cheap price from one of my LFS. Got lucky.

Aside from a small amount of circulation over the top of the background, I don't see how it wouldn't choke off circulation if you put everything behind it. Anyone have a picture of installing it in this manner?

your inlet is behind the wall but your spray bar or outlet needs to have an opening otherwise you will have no circulation at all. I can't post a picture right now since the background is installed in my brother's tank, but I'll try too post one sometime this week, or just google it there are several instructions out there. I believe that we got the instructions either from aqua terra or the e-bay seller. I have never seen one with a HOB filter so I don't know how that would work since the background are pretty wide specially the malawi one.

Daxhua said:
They can be expensive so DIY does look like a good alternative but IMO the DIY backgrounds (with the exception of very few) don't look as good as the ones you buy. I got mine for a cheap price from one of my LFS. Got lucky.

I've got to disagree, I've been working on mine for a few Weeks now and is by no means fully done but i'm quite proud of it. Here's a pic of when I first sized it into my tank.
The pieces still need to be painted so they are blended together but I love it so far.

View attachment 100515

I think all of them look great, but the second one looks the best. If I had the money id but them :) your fish will love it

Daxhua said:
I did say "with the exception of very few".

I'll take that as a complement lol :)
I'm just messing with ya. I had decided to make mine because so far if I added up the cost of everything (tank included) I've only spent like $46. Which is not a bad deal :)

You can also use the flat back ones where it doesn't take up a lot of room and you don't have to worry about water getting behind.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom