What does it cost to run?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimond

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a Kill A Watt P3 for about $20 from Amazon, it plugs into the electrical socket and then you plug a appliance into it. They also make a power strip but that is expensive. Very informative, it will tell actual voltage, amps, watts at a point in time and it will monitor your appliance for KWHs used. This part is very handy as it has a clock on at the same time to keep track of the total time and KWHs for that time period. I learned that most electrical components use less watts then they are rated.
For instance my iMac uses 110 watts when running but when it goes to sleep only 1.2 watts.
My 65 watt Power Compact (with a new bulb)on the fuge uses just 28 watts, the 10 watt lamp over my mangrove uses 9.1 watts.
I developed a excel spreadsheet that tracks the watts/amps used and calculates the cost of each device according to the rates in my area.
If anyone wants a copy of the sheet, pm me your email and I will send it to you.

It would actually be a really good idea if a couple people got these and made an article out of them. Test everything (fish related or not) and put it up. In these times, every little bit helps! I was planning on buying one because I have a roommate, going to offer to cover more then half on behalf of my fish.

Back
Top Bottom