What equipment should i use for my 58 g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude343

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i was wondering what equpment i should use for my 58 gallon tank.It will be a reef tank and it will have a sump. Can you give me suggestions on lights ,filters ,protien skimmer, powerhead, wave maker i should use.If you know any good ones and have had good experience with them please sugest them.Also do i need a flilter if i have a good skimmer and lots of live rock and aragonite sand(read that live sand is dead).

Here is a list that i made of equipment i might use feel free to comment on it.

Reef Octopus NW 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer*

Current USA Outer Orbit Fixture, 1x150W HQI Metal Halide & 2X96W Compact Fluorescents, 36 inch

Koralia 3 Centrifugal Pump

75 pounds of LR

Here is a list of fish so you know if i need anything else.

2 false percula clownfish
1 rolyal gramma
3-5 blue-green chormis
1 pink-spotted watchman goby

Some of the corals i want

Brain Coral open-red
Hammer coral
ORA Oregon Tortuosa
Bubble coral
Goniopora Colored
Chili Coral
Leather tree
Mushroom Coral - Purple

I would want to add theese corals overtime so i won't get them all at once please comment on anything.Thanks

Lights are probably the biggest expense you face if you want a reef tank. They are not a problem for a FO tank.
The Octopus skimmers seem to be getting good reviews as do ASM, Euro Reef, etc. Do a search and you'll find several threads.
Power heads probably come down to Koralia's, MaxjiJets, or modded MaxiJets (my new personal favorite).
LR (1½-2 pounds/gallon capacity) and a good PS are your filter.
Wavemakers are not really needed.

Tell us what you would like your tank to look like in 2 years time. Include a list of livestock you would like to keep. Do some research and post a list of equipment you are thinking of getting. You'll get plenty of replies.

well then as cmor said lighting is going to crucial for you. you now must decide between low or high light corals. high light corals will more then likely require MH lighting which is not cheap. what kind of fish are you interested in this will also determine what type of equipment you are going to need.

It's best to post a reply instead of editing your orignal post. That makes it easier to find the new information and keeps the thread going.

I would probably add about 10 pounds of rock at a minimum. Other than that it looks like good choices all around.

Just go slow. Keep reading and posting new questions as they arise.

Ok, thanks for the advice do you know any other ways to get people to post because not a lot of people have posted.I guess ill have 85lbs of LR

Back
Top Bottom