What filter should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryehard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read the reviews and they were helpful but I'm still not sure what filter I should get for my 29 gallon. Right now I have a Zoomed 501 canister filter that was for a turtle tank. It certainly does the job well but I was thinking about getting a new one for two reasons: 1) The Zoomed is really annoying to clean sometimes and 2) I'm thinking about upgrading to possibly a 55 gallon at some point so it'd be nice to have a filter that can handle that. I was thinking about possibly an Aquaclear or Penguin (hang on back for ease of cleaning). The Penguin just seems nice because of the biowheel but does that really help much more with biofiltration? Does anyone have any suggestions? I mainly just want a good easy to clean filter thats rated over 50 gallons.

Rena filstar xp3 or Fluval 404. Depends on current, and stocking levels and type of tank you want in the future. I could rattle off many more filters.

Well they say a canister filter is the best... ive heard great things about the fluval. But i personally love my aquaclear's. I have 2 aquaclear 70's running on my 55 gallon tank that filter 300 gph each. according to them the 70's is rated for up to a 70 gallon tank. I have an aquaclear 30 on my 10 gallon tank and it does an excellent job as well. HTH!!

You can get bio-max things for aquaclears (they actually come with the filter anyway) which do basically the same thing as a bio-wheel except they stay in water. I would go with an aquaclear 70 on a 29g.

I like AquaClear HOB's too. I think a canister is sort of overkill on a typicaly 29gallon. If you already had a spare one, use it, but I wouldn't go buy a new $70 canister for it.

a filstar xp3 would be far too much current for a 29gallon. I run that on my 75gallon and it still blows some plants around. XP1 would be more suited to that size tank.

I will concur that an AquaClear 70 or Filstar XP1 would be your best choices....if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.

Yeah thats what I figured about the canister filters. I'd love to get one, but then again I'd love to be able to get a tank big enough that I would need one. Until then I guess I might as well not spend the money.

Everyone seems to like the AquaClears and they're definately cheaper than the Penguins so that sounds good to me.

I'll add one last positive vote on the aquaclear filters. I have one on my 30gal and one on my 75gal. Love them both. :wink:

Toirtis said:
I will concur that an AquaClear 70 or Filstar XP1 would be your best choices....if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.

I actually use polyfiber stuffing from walmart (like filter floss i guess) as the first filtraton, then a sponge, then the biomax. Becuase i canjust toss the fiber stuff and my sponge doesn't get nearly as gunked up!!!.

yeah it works great!!! its really cheap and all you gotta do is throw it away and then the sponge is barely dirty and much much easier to rinse out.

AshleyNicole said:
I actually use polyfiber stuffing from walmart (like filter floss i guess) as the first filtraton, then a sponge, then the biomax. Becuase i canjust toss the fiber stuff and my sponge doesn't get nearly as gunked up!!!.

But since the polyfiber is the finest mechanical filtration, it makes more sense to use it as the last item....besides, if you put it first, it gets gunked-up faster, and will cause your media basket to rise (and overflow) if you are a few days tardy on your maintenance.

If you were to use polyfiber I would use bio-rings first.. then sponge then polyfiber in that order (were you put the bio-rings doesnt really matter they dont disrupt flow much because they dont get clogged up with muck very easily).. and a HOB is MUCH easier to maintain then any canister filter IME.. and the Aquaclear is best HOB filter out there (I think this is the oppionon of most the members here) so.. I would use a Aquaclear on a 29 gallon for ease of maintaince..

I'd say XP1 or XP2, or a Emperor 280. The 280 may not be enough for a 55G though, but would do great on the 29G. If you were planning on moving it to a 55G, I'd say XP2 for cannister. Might have a bit of a strong current in the 29G, but the XP3 would be way too much. I have the XP3 in my 55G and I think it's just a bit too strong for that. But the filter is so easy to maintain. :)

Yeah who knows what I'll end up getting in the long run as I become more obsessed so it's good to know what you guys think about the different canister filters out there. I just figured an Aquaclear because it's cheaper, but I haven't ruled out an Emperor yet...

I prefer the Aquaclear line over the Marineland filters for a few reasons: 1) Dependability; 2) media customisibility; 3) modular parts that are inexpensive and easy to obtain; 4) overall media volume; 5) price; 6) ease of use and maintenance.

I find the Aquaclear more dependable over the long hall.. they are build to last.. I repaired my last marinland filter several times before giving it away.. my aquaclear is still with me after over a decade of use and no repairs that I can remember.. 8)

I think I'll try the Aquaclear :wink: . Just one question... what is the Ammo-rid insert exactly? I know it's for ammonia of course but isn't the biological filtration from the ceramic rings (biomax insert) enough?

Ammo-rid is to suck up ammonia. Not good for a tank you want to keep cycled, it will starve the benificial bacteria.
Toirtis said:
if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.
That is what I do, with the biomax on top, and it works great.

Sounds good to me... I'd rather not waste money on the Ammo-rid anyway so good to know I definately don't want it. I'll get some extra sponges instead.

Back
Top Bottom