What filter size/make type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grahamr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
somehow I have managed to crack my filter and so need to buy a new one.

The cracked one is a Sacem Marathon 1000, which I have been running with sera siporax media ( I think it took about 3.5 boxes), no other media as recommended by my lfs.
This wasn't bought by me but came with my tank (second hand).

My tank is planted and I read that I don't need as big a capacity filter for a planted tank as an unplanted tank, but I cannot find outwhat I should have.

Oh my tanks size is 6x2x2 foot, but there are quite a lot of slate rocks in there that I made caves out of.

So can anyone give me some advise on which filter to go for size/type and make.

I don't really want to pay more than £100(UK).

Thanks in advance,
Graham.

I'm not familiar with the money in UK terms, but the following should help in your choices for a filter system.

A filter should turn over at least three times the amount of gallons the tank is per hour. Five times over in an hour is preferred. For such a large tank, a wet/dry sump works great and easy to maintain...even for fully planted tanks.

If you don't know the gallon capacity of the tank, there is a mathematical formula to find out. This is just for rectangular and square tanks.

Length x width x height divided by 231 = gallons

Sounds like it's probably 150 US gallons (a 125 is 6x1.5x2...roughly).

For such a large tank you'll really want 2 filters, one at each end, to avoid dead spots in the water. A pair of Rena Filstar XP3's would be a good filter that's up to the task. These are about $100 in US funds, each. Probably 70 pound (my currency conversion is rusty)...but you could start with one, and then add a second later.

Thanks for your advise.

Malkore
My tank is 6ft x 2 ft x 2 ft, which is a 150 UK gallon or 180 USA gallon I think, but I do have a lot of rocks in there.

I have already bought 1 XP3, £85 was the cheapest I could find it over here, your conversion is probably right but we do always seem to pay a bit more for things over here.

I am a bit confused as to why you suggest I need 2 of these filters, it says on the packaging it is for my size tank, as I said i have quite a few rocks to reduce the capacity and also thought you needed less filtration on a planted tank?

My original filter I only had ceramics in, no sponges or other type of media, as advised by my lfs, but my new filter says I need the sponges in. What would you advise? I have left the sponges in for now.

The crack in my original filter is on the rim stopping it from sealing, would I get away with refilling it with ceramics and sealing it shut with silicon to stop it leaking. I could then just shake it every week to clear the debra as I had originally been doing?

TCTFish,
What is a wet/dry sump and how does it work?

Thanks in advance ,
Graham.

yes you do need the sponges. they work great for bacteria build up and removing solid waste from the tank water. Also you may want to take some of those ceramoic rings from the "broken" filter and add it into the middle area of the filter. This will help with bacteria growth in the new filter and hopefully avoid any mini cycles. A wet/dry sump is basically a large canister filter. A smaller container (usually another tank) with a pump and different areas for different media. The big difference is media area. The tank can hold a huge amount of filter media and the water has alot of time passing through the media. Saltys and others who use them could give you more detail or you could do a search and you'll find tons on here. I don't think if you already bought the xp3 that the sump is the way to go. I would wait awhile 'till the wallet allows it and get a second xp3. That way you can buy the media in bulk over the web. Also I would want to wait untill the one you just got has enough good bacteria on it so that when you add the second one there again is no mini cycle. I've been getting my xp3 ready on an established tank for over two weeks now and it's almost ready i'd say.

As to the flow rate question, from what I've been told manufacturers rate the gph with an empty filter. Rule of thumb is roughly half what the box says is true. if thats the case than the xp3 runs a tapprox. 175gph with only turns your tank over 1 time per hour, not enough. Second thought, have you opened.used the xp3? If not maybe you could return it and for roughly the same price build your own sump with a higher flow rate pump.

Back
Top Bottom