What if i still see salt crystals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIES2525

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to do a 25% water change in my 55 gallon tank, and i am worrying about the new water i am putting in.
I mixed the saltwater yesterday morning, and when i looked at it this morning, i can still see salt crystals in the water. I am using instant ocean, and i measured the salt to a tea, but it just doesnt seem to be dissolving.
So can you still see salt crystals after you have mixed the salt with R/O water. Or should it be completely dissolved to the point were the water looks clear?

Yes, it should dissolve completely.

Side note- Do NOT count on measuring the salt to yield the proper SG levels. You need to be testing it throughout (preferably with a refractometer).

So it should dissolve completely. HAs anyone else had a problem with salt not dissolving completely?
ALso, i have a hydrometer, and it checks out to be a perfect level. 1.024.
So i cant figure it out....

I have the same problem before until I got an extra heater.
did u heat up your mixed water to the same temp as your tank?
IME that will help dissolve the salt a little bit faster.

if they r crystal built at the bottom, just ignore them, but don't add them to your tank.

I haven't, but I don't use IO. I have heard of others having this issue with it.

Seachem Reef, I was happy with Oceanic but couldn't pass up a deal on the Seachem. Side note- the online vendor sent the wrong salt (Red Sea) :bad-words: so we're trying to trade it for either of the aforementioned.

How are you mixing it? Did you just stir it up, or do you have a pump/powerhead in there to mix it? We use a pretty large pump (which also eliminates the need for us to heat the water) and never have this problem. However, I've had the same issue in the past with IO.

I use Instant Ocean... And its building up along the edges of my container, werre the water level ends. And there are actually salt crystals floating on the top of it as well. And they are very noticable, like sort of clump9ing together a little bit.
I am using a powerful heater, and a powerhead which have both been mixing for about 29 hours. With no results, and im confused!

sometime I will have a white layer on top, I will use a net to skim it away before I add the water.

if wel r having crystal problem with IO, maybe we should try other salt mix OoO
or try severum's method, use a pump to mix the water.

Did you add the salt first, then the water or the other way around. Always add the salt to the water. Then mix with powerhead for at least 24hrs.

Using a powerhead is pretty much the same thing match. I think the clumping is a by-product of the IO. That said, I wouldn't switch before you use it up unless you can trade or sell it. Just remix the precip back into the water the best you can and match the SG.

I almost finish my last bucket of IO, probably gonna try other brand.

I add water to the bucket, then prime wait for a day and add salt.

I almost finish my last bucket of IO, probably gonna try other brand.

I add water to the bucket, then prime wait for a day and add salt.

Are you using tap or RO?

using tap right now
do I still need prime if I use RO??
I m getting a RO after I get my next pay check LOL

Nope. That's why I asked. lol

Tap- Prime the heck out of it and let mix.
RO- Just let it mix.

Nope. That's why I asked. lol

Tap- Prime the heck out of it and let mix.
RO- Just let it mix.

XD great, I m gonna use all the prime I have then get my RO
is a 2 chamber RO good enough?
I saw one in petsmart for $170 OoO

Back
Top Bottom