What is a high light fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm a bit of a Newb when it comes to lighting knowledge.
What fixtures are classified as either a low, medium, or high light?
Which ones are the most affordable high light fixtures?

Are you referring to freshwater or saltwater? The differences are vast.

What are the differences? I'm a freshie right now. But I plan on saltwater in the future

This is a very brief summary:

Freshwater usually uses either t-8, t-5 or led lights for plants. How "high" a tank is considered light depends on lighting, gallons of water and the depth of the tank. This factors in because it matters how much water light goes through. It becomes less effective as it goes down. A low light tank for a 10 gallon fresh would be like a single t-8 bulb. Medium like dual t-5 and high triple t-5 or higher. Once you start getting that high though you need co2 to help prevent algae. Again I am not an expert but this is some knowledge I believe to be correct.

Well I ask because I'm inching my way into a more advanced setup for my 60 gallon planted.
I'd like to start doing some medium light plants. I run a T5 double.
I was under the impression that it is a medium light fixture. But it's only 28 watts so that would make it a low light.

On a 60 gallon that would be considered low yes. What are the dimensions of your tank?

jackwagon said:
On a 60 gallon that would be considered low yes. What are the dimensions of your tank?

Hmm I believe its 48 long 18 tall and 24 wide

There are tons of light fixtures out there for 48" long tanks. I would look into a 48" quad t-5 personally. Look on aqua traders.com best deals are there.

jackwagon said:
There are tons of light fixtures out there for 48" long tanks. I would look into a 48" quad t-5 personally. Look on aqua traders.com best deals are there.

The prices on this site blew me away. Thanks a lot!

No problem you might need some other advice so if need help start another thread :)

Back
Top Bottom