What is a Power Head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry for the ignorant question ... but I have a 55g tank with an aqua clear 300 on it ... and I was wondering how to add a little more flow to the water as it only appears to be moving real well right after I clean out my filter.

So, thus my question ... what is a power head? Can they be used to move water or are they just part of another type of filtering system?

tia

Power heads are a type of pump you hang in your tank, either with a brace or with suction cups, to get additional water movement. They come in different make and capacity. Your local fish store surely has them and would be able to show you what they have and hopefully recommend something that suits your tank.

The only stupid questions are those not asked. :wink:

HTH

8)

so, I could use a power head simply to move additional water? ... without hooking it up to an underground filter (i've heard that ugf's are a pain)?

so, I could use a power head simply to move additional water? ... without hooking it up to an underground filter (i've heard that ugf's are a pain)?
Absolutely! I would never use an UGF again, personally. If you want more water movement and extra filtration, consider a cannister filer.

You can get PH's in different flow rates
I have 2 maxi-jet 1200 in my tank and they move 290 GPH.
Rio is another company and I know aquaclear makes them too all in different flow rates

Back
Top Bottom