What is the Best overflow box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

six2sevenproductions

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I need an overflow box and i was wondering which boxes are best. if you can give me an example of a good box and why or which boxes you use I would really appreciate it. The box I am leaning towards is a LifeReef. It is the only one I have seen who have stated, Guaranteed not to break a siphon in case of power failure. I have a 60 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump.

I have an Eshopps 300. I like it because it has a black box on the inside. It was very easy to make the modifications I wanted on it. You can make any of them safe for power outages.

Hello, I myself am using an Eshopps 800 and I have no complaints. Albeit, it is the first overflow I have ever owned. I was hesitant to go with it because I read many reviews, or seen videos, where people have lost the syphon over time. I now believe this was the case because the pump being used was not able to keep up with the overflows efficiency which would lead to slow water flow through the j-tube and eventually build up a big enough airpocket to break the syphon. That being said, make an honest attempt to account for your water pump's flow rate and buy an overflow box rated just above that amount. In other words I don't suggest buying an overflow rated for 800 gph if your pump can only push 200 an hour. All that being said, I do not know of an overflow - that I saw while I was shopping for one - that did not maintain it's syphon after a power outage.

After much research I came to the conclusion of just what you said. It seems that siphons get broken by when you do not have a strong enough pump. I read many posts that people were complaining about tube overflows boxes losing their siphon. In most replys to those it seemed to be the case of a small return pump. All other posts seemed to be complaints about CPR boxes. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom