what is your fav hob filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppylove85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what is your favorite HOB filter? and why?
so you like a particular one biased on tank size?

I am pondering on upgrades, and filters for new tanks. Just wanted to see what everyone likes.;)

I don't really like hob filters in general but if I have to choose one, it would be aquaclear, followed by the aqueon quietflows because those are the only ones I've had besides the aquatech line, which is decent.

I have 2 marineland penguin biowheel filters. One is a 200 and the other is a 350. I love them!

I have had Aqueon, Marineland, and Aquaclear filters. I like the Aquaclear the most out of the 3 brands.

thanks for your responses, so far everyone else i have talked to says aquaclear as well. I guess it doesn't mater too much just has to work.

The aquaclear is my choice. I have two 110s on my 55g. I like the customizable media you don't necessarily have to buy a certain brand of media

I have a Fluval C2 and it does an awesome cleaning job with no cartridges! (my favorite part) so you don't have to remove all your media at once. The only problem I have it that it's in my room and while still fairly quiet it seems louder than my old filter.

I run Aquaclears exclusively. I have used Pengiun, and Emperor filters in the past. They worked great for a while, then the bio-wheels stopped turning. Plus you have to buy replacement cartridges. The AC's are better because you never have to buy any replacement media for them and the chioces of extra media are unlimited. Just my personal choice.

I use Marineland Penguins and their HOT Magnum. I like that I can stick in two cartridges in the Penguins, which means I can run a prefilter and a sponge for bio media, along with the bio wheel, which I've never had issues with like some others have.

Plus the carbon cartridges are dirt cheap and well made.

The HOT Magnum has a great fine micron polishing filter which I can swap in when doing gravel cleaning and use the filter itself to clean the gravel, no buckets and absolutely no flow through of waste when cleaning. When I get done I put the large capacity filter right back in.

As you (the OP) can see, there are going to be varying opinions on this subject, and people are going to have wildly varying favorites in terms of HOB filtration...

Just to add more fuel to the proverbial personal opinion fire, I used to run Tetra's Whispers when I was young and into keeping tropicals with my dad; since starting up a 60-gallon goldfish tank some two and a half years ago (and, recently, a 10-gallon housing a Red Cap Oranda and orange-colored fancytail), I have been running an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and AquaClear 110 on the 60-gallon, and an Aqueon QuietFlow 20 on the 10. To me, running the AquaClear and Aqueon on the larger tank allows for the best of both kinds of filtration from these units; the Aqueon and its dual carbon cartridges and specialized "bio grid" and wet/dry system plus the AquaClear's sponge/BioMax setup. Both do a good job at filtering, from what I can see, but as everyone has been saying, with the AquaClears, you don't have to keep running out to buy new media replacements as you do with filters that take the "cartridges" (once they get really nasty or completely clogged). Some suggest even cartridges don't need to be replaced, just rinsed -- but with the Aqueons, they get so ridiculously matted and nasty with brown debris that they suck up from the water, I found myself always just changing them per the manufacturer's instructions (of course, many argue this is a money-making tactic, but I just preferred clean media pads). With the AquaClears, you just need to rinse out the sponge and BioMax when they start to look cruddy and loaded (moreso the sponge) in removed tank water so you don't lose bacteria colonies...

The Aqueons feature a patented "biogrid" which translates to blue plastic pieces that are supposed to house the BB -- so, in theory, throwing away the cartridges and replacing with new ones is not supposed to cause a bacterial crash and bloom; the bacteria is still supposed to reside on these blue pieces of the filter (the two "biogrids" the cartridges slip into and an "oxygen bar" piece before the water return flow)...

Still, FWIW, even the small Aqueon QuietFlow 20 on my 10-gallon keeps that water crystal clear even if parameters are out of whack due to two goldfish being in there and poopin' up the place...:nono::blink::eek:

Wondering if aquaclear filters need more space between wall and tank than whispers.

Hmmmm...good question, 'Dirty; I THINK -- not positive -- that the Tetra Whispers are a TAD more narrow than the AquaClears in terms of sheer size...I know my AquaClear 110 needs a good amount of room to clear the wall in the back of the tank (it's a pretty hefty filter) but then again, so does my Aqueon (but not by as much)...

Perhaps someone else would know much better on this particular topic...

Whisper 60 fits perfectly with 3 1/4" from wall to tank trim. And about 1/8" space left over without touching the wall. Anyone have measurements of an aquaclear on their tank?

I like my Penguin 150 power filter. I also like how quiet tetra whisper filters are. I haven't tried AquaClear filters but judging from this I guess I should!

i have an aquaclear 70 and a fluval c4...the aquaclear is good because u can use whatever type of media you want

the fluval c4 is pretty cool, it has a mini wet/dry filter built directly into the filter. They are both fairly quiet

Back
Top Bottom