What lighting should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 29gal (wallmart special) has only 20watts. As you've probably guessed, my plants don't last too long. I haven't found many plants that want low light.

I want to upgrade the lighting for $50 or less (I've already spent way too much on my aquarium). Everything I know about lighting I read on Rex Grigg's article, "planted tank basics." I've done a lot of research on what is available but don't know what's better than what. What can you guys suggest? I'd like to know everything (at least a lot) about lighting.

I've seen several tubes that claim to be better for plants. Is this true? What brands tend to be better - or does it not matter? A lot of tubes have a chart showing the power emitted at different wavelengths. What wavelengths to plants generally want?

Right now I am leaning towards getting a new hood with twin bulbs. This will give me 40watts in 29gal (only 1.4watts/gal). Do you guys think this might be enough? I'm also thinking of upgrading the original tubes to the "especially for plants" tubes.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The reason your plants are dying now is that the light you have is not enough even for low light plants. Upgrading to a twin tube is a good idea. Any brand will do as long as you get 6500k/6700k bulbs for plants. At a little over 1 WPG you can grow Java moss, java fern, Hornwort, Prolific crypt & Anubias barteri.

Back
Top Bottom