What material is used in aquascaping videos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsheim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may be a stupid question, and if it is, please forgive me, but I was wondering what material aquascapers use to block off sections of the tank for things like water pumps and filters. Is it just standard neoprene sheets? Or something else?
An example of what I am talking about would be something like this:

https://youtu.be/-jHxTM9RVhw?t=20

Thanks!

Not sure what those black looking pieces are... Nice looking material though.

Not a stupid question in the least! It is a very good question.

The usual thing I have seen for making compartments are glass and acrylic pieces.

As for holding and separating substrates from each other while setting up, say a planted substrate in some areas and sand in the front, would be cardboard - left in place until ready to add more stones and plants.

Recently I used the industrial metal storage / pantry shelving plastic shelf liners which cover the bottom to make a flat surface for stacking your stuff. And I used one for a corner for planting substrate sections and a background on a tank, as well as a cover for the bottom glass (slight buffer against pointy rocks and scratching ones). ;) They come in various lengths and depths. Easy to cut. So far so good on them.

There are also thin flexible "cutting boards", actually like mats at the local dollar store $1.00 for 2 which is an easy fix for holding the substrate.

Interested to see what this material from the video might be.

I did see one video that had a link to neoprene boards, but they all have adhesive on them, and I'm assuming that the adhesive wouldn't be good for an aquarium.
I think I'll give the cutting board idea a try. I'd like to start building my paludarium this weekend, so I want to start ordering the parts I need. I want to be able to section off the water pumps and filter and hide them behind a rock backdrop, which I will start making this weekend as well. I plan on either using polystyrene covered in cement, or expanding aquarium foam covered in rocks and pebbles. I haven't decided yet.

I don't know about what they use but I used that slightly wavey flexible garden barrier thing that comes in rolls and you can chop up with garden shears with just a few clips. (I had a whole bunch just lying around) only downside is that it's a dark green color that I dont want showing so I have to bury it strategically.

It's funny you should mention that, I literally just watched that video. That tank is incredible! I wish I had that kind of talent.

That IS funny!:dance: It is a pretty amazing tank. He teaches things about his building and that is always helpful. If you can take away a few things, and then next time a few more. And who knows?!

Back
Top Bottom