what return pumps should i use for this setup???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125g tank with dual overflow. I am going to need two pumps to push the water probably about 5 feet high from the bottom of the sump to the tops of the overflows. Since this is going to be a reef tank i want a lot of water mvmt. so i need your advice as to what pumps i should use to obtain this. Thanks!!!

External or subbmersible pump? Reeflo Dart is a nice pump. Iwaki, panworld and Little Giant are good too. You would only need one of these pumps.

2 Mag12's would work too. Many choices are available though.

Magdrive are good but avoid the 36 model. They apparently add some heat to the water but I think most magnetic drive pump will add a little. I have heard good things about Quiet One pumps as well.

If I may suggest, stick with one return pump, but one good one. The reason being that if one pump fails, the other pump will not be able to keep up with the flow of returned water and you have yourself a disaster = flood.

I have a 125 gallons Jetstream dual return/overflow tank from Marineland and I use a Mag24 pump in-sump. Yes, it does generate heat but helps to warm up the water so the heaters don't have to work as hard. :wink:

From the information I have read, for this tank, maximum overflow rate is about 600 GPH for each overflow, giving you a theoretical limit of 1200 GPH wich is very adequate.

Personally, I would suggest that you add a few powerhead pumps inside the tank for the additional water movement.

That's my opinion. HTH

8)

If each pump is running off a separate overflow, having one pump go down will not cause a flood. Flow will be reduced but no flood. As long as the available drain is bigger than the pump gph, you will be fine.

two mag 12's would be perfect. I like the redundency that 2 pumps offers. THat way it is not a scramble if your mainpump dies. A 1" overflow will flow about 700 GPH sothe mag 12 would be a perfect match a 5 FT of head. A mag 18 maybe but the in my opinion the 12 would be perfect!

Back
Top Bottom