What test kits do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon6209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a planted tank and would like a better reading on my parameters because I keep gettin algae. I am thinking I need:
Phosphate
KH and GH
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
Ph
Anything else I need? And is there a kit with all of these or what I need for a decent price?

I used to have a hagan nutrafin master test kit , i think it contained all mentioned but the phosphate test.

At the moment i'm using the API masterlit and a Nutrafin kh/gh kit.

Im sure thats enough to maintain a jealthy tank without going too technical with extra water test kits.

Works for me amd my tanks :)

Testing Kits

I have a planted tank and would like a better reading on my parameters because I keep gettin algae. I am thinking I need:
Phosphate
KH and GH
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
Ph
Anything else I need? And is there a kit with all of these or what I need for a decent price?

Hello D...

Algae grows because there are too many nutrients in the water. Specifically nitrate and phosphate. If you follow a good water change routine, by changing out half the of the water in your tank every week, give or take a day or two, your water chemistry will be stable and the algae won't be a problem.

There's another benefit to large, frequent water changes and that is you don't have to test the tank water. The reason is, the water isn't in the tank long enough for pollutants to build up before the next large change.

I change half or more of the water in my tanks every week and haven't tested it in a long time.

Just a thought, you might consider.

B

BBradbury said:
There's another benefit to large, frequent water changes and that is you don't have to test the tank water. The reason is, the water isn't in the tank long enough for pollutants to build up before the next large change.

I change half or more of the water in my tanks every week and haven't tested it in a long time.

Just a thought, you might consider.

B

Larger water changes are not going to eliminate testing all together. You'll still need a test kit. It just doesn't need to be used regularly, with or without 50+% water changes after you've been cycled.

I reccommend the api master test kit. You'll really only need the tests for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. The others you listed (phosphate KH GH) not needed in freshwater but may be handy

Back
Top Bottom