What to put in Refugium LOG? 180 gal display tank (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
The tank has had water in it for about 3 weeks now. Pretty much was already cycled from the 220 lbs LR I added that I had in my basement for 4 months soaking while I build the stand/canopy/setup/etc.

Now I'm at the point to start working on my refuge. What should I put in it? There's between 15 & 20 gals of water in it. My nitrate levels is usually around 10 but has gone up to 20 if it makes a difference. I'm going to do mix reef/fish. Already have 3 blue chromis and 2 clowns-percs.

I'm still pretty new to the hobby and would really appreciate someone to take the time to work with me on getting my refuge setup. I'll listen and read all your feedback. Thank You, Brent

Here's some recent pic's - 180 gal, 40L gal sump/refuge (still setting things up and yes I have a background, just haven't put it up yet.)
16.jpg

11.jpg

Sand, LR and/or LR rubble and chaeto macro algae. That is the best combo for me. The macro won't go sexual.

My Nitrates were 0 on last test. Tank has been up for over 2 yrs.

ellisz said:
Sand, LR and/or LR rubble and chaeto macro algae. That is the best combo for me. The macro won't go sexual.

My Nitrates were 0 on last test. Tank has been up for over 2 yrs.
thanks ellis! Thats a lot simpler than I thought. So I don't need to put any live species in it. For some reason I was under the impression I had to so I built it so that even a snail couldn't escape from it.

Now does anyone know where I can get some chaeto macro algae online? I don't know one person that owns a fish tank yet alone a saltwater tank. would make the hobby more fun now that I think about it!

i'd put a variety of snails if anything... that place will become a snail reproduction center :) atleast thats what i did with mine

I have put nassarius snails in my fuge before. You don't want anything to clog you pump though. I had a flood once when a large hermit blocked a drain.

You can normally get chato from local reefers or online. I normally have some I sell. Currently I am low but I will have some soon. Check the for sale section. There are usually a few selling macro.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom