What would be the best bulb combo for a mixed reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 4 bulb HOT5 Fixture running with 2 Actinic's and 2 12k daylights

What would be the best bulb combo for a mixed reef tank?
What Brand of bulbs would you use and why?

I have been looking at changing the brand to maybe Giesemann because I heard they have some really nice actinic's as well as good daylights

I did notice my corals seemed to open up a lot more when I changed from CF to HOT5's but I want to maximize my growth rate and colour intensity in the tank at the same time..

ATI or giesemann are the bulbs i would recommend, because they have the best color, and the highest PAR.
ATI blue plus and ATI aquablue special would be the bulbs i would use.

so would you run 2 aquablue special bulbs instead of the Actinic's? what would you use for the white then.

well im looking to get bulbs for 2 tanks, one has a 4 bulb fixture with 2 bulbs per switch (blues and whites) the other is just a 2 bulb fixture with no switch its either on or not..

the 2 bulb system needs bulbs really soon, its on a deeper tank as well its 20" tall compared to the bulb tank which is 18.5"

figure I might try a bulb combo on the 2 bulb fixture and see how i like it then change over the 4 bulb later.

How blue do you like your tank? There's pure actinc and then a blue white mix and pure white. You can mix and match for the color you like.

not sure how blue I like it..I havent really played with different colours before but i do know that I enjoy when the colours POP at night when the whites are off

Back
Top Bottom